Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sort of a wood turning thread: shavings as mulch?

I am pretty sure cedar has ill effects of large animals (aromatics), and even my kids Guinea Pigs - we use a paper-ish cellulose product that's free of allergens, and scents. Check with JC Campbell and see what they say; they're very organically oriented.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cedar-m...ens-66364.html - I may have to rescind that cedar comment based upon this article.

2. Yes most of the time adding saw dust or Wood shavings, have a deleterious effect on plant growth, due to nutrient depletion by microorganisms breaking down the Wood fibers. Moreover, some Woods may exudate compounds that may affect, even kill other plants. This actually happens in nature as a way to erradicate other plant species trying to grow too close to a given plant species. If you want to help your plants, either compost your Wood residues, or add Green clippings to them ...

Green clippings get very hot if used in a thick mat or pile.

As usual when these kinds of questions are asked we get all kinds of answers, confused and half-truths, yes Walnut Juglone toxin can and does affect some plants, like Tomatoes and Apple trees and a few more, but many plants grow well if they do get enough light and moisture, also the juglone does break down quite quickly, like leaves are not affecting plants in as little as 4 to 6 weeks time, bark, shavings and the like need a half to one year to be not affecting plants like Tomatoes, I have used fresh mulch and composted leaves that included Black Walnut under and around trees and shrubs, just don’t dig it in, as air is something like 80% nitrogen the breaking down material can get all it needs from the air very easily.

I would remove the grass around my trees and never mulch right up to the trees, as it is used to keep moisture and help keep the ground cool it doesn’t need to be up against the tree trunk and build up can be harmful for a tree even dirt is not good to mount up around it.

Here is an excerpt from an Ohio State University fact sheet and also a link to it if you like to read up on it Attachment 316249.

Walnut and juglone.jpg

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 06-25-2015 at 1:29 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    I am pretty sure cedar has ill effects of large animals (aromatics), and even my kids Guinea Pigs - we use a paper-ish cellulose product that's free of allergens, and scents. Check with JC Campbell and see what they say; they're very organically oriented.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cedar-m...ens-66364.html - I may have to rescind that cedar comment based upon this article.
    That's good info. Thanks! But for what it's worth, cedar mulch doesn't do jack against squash bugs