Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: flu shots. from the horses mouth do you think they've done you any good or not?

flu shots. from the horses mouth do you think they've done you any good or not?

It seems I'm moving into a profession where I'd be exposed to a lot of sick people and just got hit with a fairly heavy flu bug and during my nights of delirioum I was wondering they are worth it.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Blog Entries
    As I understand it, while they don't always prevent the flu, they do seem to make the episode much easier to deal with if you've had a flu shot. I've had a flu shot for more than 10 years and haven't had the flu in that time. They may not be a hundred percent effective, but they have worked for me thus far.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    As I understand it, while they don't always prevent the flu, they do seem to make the episode much easier to deal with if you've had a flu shot...
    This ^^^....

I never got the flu shot for years, then started teaching at the local gym and of course, you get exposed to everything there so, lo and behold, got the flu. I believe the CDC will tell you that flu strains mutate and the shot you get might or might not be effective against whatever you catch but to Lee's point, having the flu sucks so much that even if it knocks my possibilities down or knocks the symptoms down by 25%, it's worth it. At least for me. Also, I make sure that I am not scheduled to teach a class or do any physical work for about 72 hours after I get the vaccination, because you will "somewhat" get the symptoms and fatigue as a result of the vaccination.

Actually, I do insist that my dad get the flu shot. In my opinion, it should be mandatory for the elderly or those with compromised or depressed immune systems. People die from complications that started with influenza, so it's worth taking seriously. Just my 2-cents as always.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Vitamin D may be more effective than the flu shot.

The smart move is to get the shot, and take the D.

The last time I got the flu bad was about fifteen years ago. Funny enough, I remember the experience rather fondly. I pulled a mattress off the bed in the spare room (tossed it on the floor) and went to sleep for about three days. I wasn't uncomfortable or anything, I did occasionally wake up and drink and use the facilities, but mostly just slept.

In fact, we were scheduled to have a half bath remodeled and I told my wife before falling asleep to tell them to keep it down. Three days later when I woke up, I apologized to my wife that she had to delay the remodel and she said, "no, they're wrapping it up now." They did the demo and everything else and I never even heard them.

Since then I think the flu shot has mostly protected me. It has been several years since I started taking vitamin D but it was the flu shot along for a good 8+ years that protected me all by itself.

This year it was worthless, but other years it is reasonably effective.
    They are free, take 10 minutes, so what the heck.

Been getting them for 30+ years and never had the flu.

Flu vaccines aren't developed and mass produced over night. They start developing and manufacturing them long before the flu season. Periodically, the flu strains will morph wildly between the development time, production and before the flu season rendering the current vaccine less effective.

That being said, as someone who worked in hospitals and clinics daily for 34 years, I always got the flu shot. Now that I am retired, I still get them.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have no idea if it is beneficial or not but I get a shot every year. I never had the flu before and never had it since taking the shots. The shot doesn't make me sick so I think it is a reasonable effort to try to avoid a major illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    That being said, as someone who worked in hospitals and clinics daily for 34 years, I always got the flu shot. Now that I am retired, I still get them.
    Many hospitals and clinics now require employees to get the flu shot.

I work as a contractor but I figure what they're advising for employees seems like a pretty good plan for me, too.

Ome of the local hospitals here in Victoria requires you to wear a mask if you haven't had the flu shot. I generally don't get it, but have a pretty damn robust immune system; pretty sure I haven't had the flu in 20 or so years.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Never had a flu shot.

I get a sniffle-level issue about once every 2-3 years. It lasts for a day or two, never hard enough to worry about taking off of work.

About 2 months ago I got something a bit nastier than usual. An annoying cough and aching head caused me to actually take a day off of work, and it lasted for about a week and a half. No medicine beyond Advil was ever taken. I'm hoping that one takes care of my major illness for the decade.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Herd immunity anyone?
    http://www.vaccines.gov/basics/protection/

Yes maybe they missed it last year but that doesn't mean to stop getting the shot. And I really hope that we don't have people on this forum who don't vaccinate their kids.

The last few years I have been getting a flu shot, but I did not get one this past year. I did not get the flu even without a shot. Surprisingly, I have not had a cold or flu for a couple of years. I did get sinus infection about two years ago.

My wife is a PhD RN and insists we both get flu shots. I hardly ever get sick...knock on wood...but she has had the flu almost every year. She explains that the shot is a generalized...statically...at the expected strain for the season. The bug is constantly mutating as it travels from host to host. She believes I just have a very robust immune system...and she doesn't...and gets a mutated strain...albeit less server. She still is a firm believer in all forms of immunization because she has seen the results of not doing it.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

We always get the flu shot, nothing to lose, lots to gain................Regards, Rod.