Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GCC LaserPro Mercury problem

Exclamation GCC LaserPro Mercury problem

Hi guys, I'm having a bit of trouble and I hope you can help me. I run a small business with my girlfreind and we use a gcc laserpro mercury laser engraver. Yesterday it was working absolutely fine but this morning it keeps coming up with a message on the display and I have no idea how to fix it, Ive tried reinstalling the software, the drivers ive tried a different PC ive tried different cables and various other things. If you can assist me in any way it would monumentally appreciated as this is our livelihood and our
    only source of income. Thanks in advanced. Please refer to picture for error messages

11244547_10153953410566029_1714618568_o.jpg11657576_10153953410631029_767783749_n.jpg

Arron welcome to SMC forum,

Personally I don't know anything about GCC systems but here is a thought.
    Would you know if your computer had a windows auto update that may have contributed to corrupt setup?
    Restoring the system in this case may bring it back to working again.
    Last edited by Tony Lenkic; 06-24-2015 at 11:17 AM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Hi, thanks for the welcome. Yeh I ran a system restore to take it back a week but that was unsuccesful .

Anyone have any solutions?

Jack Halley

30w Pinnacle M, 30w Accuris Powersharp 12, Vinyl Express Q75

Aaron, the first message you show is a legitimate error message. The second one is a corrupted error message that has the file info superposed on the original message (filename = noname1 with laser parameters superposed.) It is pretty much meaningless.

I would certainly start with a clean driver reinstall. What driver are you using?

Perhaps you should consider changing the parallel port cable for a known good one.

Have you ever reloaded the firmware into the machine i.e. do you know how? Do you know offhand what firmware version you are running? It should come up on the display upon startup (assuming it is working well enough to display this.) You might have to refresh the firmware.

Are you able to view the built-in diagnostics at all? e.g. can you do a RAM test?

One thing that you should also do is turn off the machine and reseat the memory. If you could do a RAM test you might know if some memory has gone bad.

Does your unit have a serial port as well? Perhaps you could try to talk to it via serial port and see if it will communicate. (Serial is too slow for production but might help isolate the problem.)

Rodne Gold used to be the resident GCC expert but he has since unloaded all his GCC equipment. But you might try sending him a PM though (not sure if he will see your post.) He might have some ideas.

Aaron, after looking at it a bit more it seems that the driver is the most likely culprit. Also, I would suggest running the diagnostic test if you can - it is called "hidden diagnostic" and you access it by holding the START/STOP and PAUSE buttons on the keypad at the same time, while turning on the machine. Are you familiar with this? Look for results especially for SRAM and DRAM. You can also check serial port functionality but for some reason not the COM port.

Check with Kurt - he has helped me out a few times with my Explorer ZX
    Kurt Koser
    408-782-5122
    866-4-LAZERS
    www.LaserProNA.com

Thank you all for the support. Honestly though, I wish I understood what you have all been suggesting. My knowledge of the laser and the operating system is next to none. I have only been working with the mercury for the past month. I will replace the parallel port cable and I have tried reinstalling the driver. Wether I've done it correctly is another thing. The driver was I believe GL358. I've tried running GL357 and GL355 but the computer wouldnt let me install either of them. The firmware on the laser is V2.27srd.

Arron;
    Where are you located? I have a GCC Mercury 1 and may be able to help. Richard pretty well covered the littany of troubleshooting the basic things. Latest firmware is 2.28 and available at Jorlink site as well as instructions on how to load it. Email me direct at gmperzel@rochester.rr.com and we can set up phonecon to discuss.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts

Arron is in the UK and I have had a email communication going with him. For the record, he is running Win Vista with a USB to parallel converter cable. "Hidden diagnostic" tests have passed OK.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts

Aaron - Ok, good that you passed diagnostics.

I am concerned about the USB to parallel converter. Yes, I know it used to work. But this system was never designed to be used with that, and you can be sure GCC never tested it with such a device as it did not exist back then. You have been using it for a month . . . sometimes these things work and sometimes they don't.

If it were me I would get a plug-in parallel port board for your PC and run a true parallel port.

I have read that sometimes it is difficult to do a proper un-install of the driver. I am not computer savvy enough to know why, and what the steps are to ensure it is completely removed.

If you are stuck buy or borrow a $50 computer with XP on it, and a parallel port, and install the driver fresh. Then you can troubleshoot from the results of that.

You also need to collect all the manuals for future support of this machine. If you can't find them on-line let us know and we'll see what we can dig up. What year is your machine? Serial number? Synrad laser tube?

Thanks everyone for the support. I've ordered some new cables purely to test and rule out the possibility of cable failure. I'm quite reluctant to spend money although I know it will be inevitable but funds are tight after forking out for the laser not too long ago.

If you're running a USB to Parallel converter cable, I applaud you for ever getting it to work at all! I've never been able to...

I did get a USB to serial cable to work, it lasted about a month and then it started sending garbage to the machine
    (the 'machine' would be an ancient Gravo EP module that drives my V3400 cylinder engraver)

As suggested above, you really need an LPT port on your computer to connect a "whole" parallel cable to.

If you don't have a parallel port on your computer, check your motherboard to see if it has any free PCI slots-- they're the WHITE ones-
    If SO, get on Ebay and order a couple of PCI LPT printer cards, and get them ordered up--

BUT since time is of the essence, you may check locally for an LPT card, but they're few and far between these days-

other option is an older computer, anything with XP will do, that has an LPT printer port already- fire it up, load your software & drivers and connect up a real cable...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I've also spent lots of money on the USB to parallel conversion for mine, but
    never got it working. GCC says Parallel or serial, nothing else. From what I was
    told, there is no USB support in the driver itself and they never had any plans
    to add it. (old machines and all of that)
    I also don't know if Vista was ever supported, or if the way it handles the ports
    is different than XP. My Merc is still on XP/parallel
    Avatar courtesy of the awesome Frank Corker
    30w Mercury and workbench so full of misc. tools that
    I can't find any of them. So I have to buy them again.