Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Router - Worth It?

Festool Router - Worth It?

I won a $500 gift certificate to a woodworking store that sells Festool tools. The one tool that is intriguing me other than the Kapex is the Model 1400EQ router. At $555, that's a lot of money for a router. Is it worth its purchase price?

I've looked at their routers and they are, indeed, very nice.

But if I had to pick one Festool tool to get, it would be the Domino.

Hi, Mike I have a Festool router,No problems with it at all I does all I ask of it.Before I bought it I was Useing Porter cable.The Porter cable router just rattled them selves apart.I really hate router but festool makes good stuff.

I don't know how much Andrew uses his PC routers (or used them) but my two PC 690s work great. One needed a new power switch after 10 years intermittent use. I don't see any need to "upgrade". In addition to the PCs, I have an old Ryobi R-500 motor in the router table and a Colt for small stuff.

If I were to buy a Festool, I am pretty sure it would be the Domino. I can do mortises other ways but this tool seems to make them much simpler and quicker.

The best I could say for a Festool router is the people who have them seem to like them. You might try looking at the Festool owners group for feedback. You don't have to own Festools to participate.

I don't know how much you use a router but for my money the Festool ETS 150/3 EQ is a more practical buy - smooth, strong, excellent dc, I love mine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I don't know how much you use a router but for my money the Festool ETS 150/3 EQ is a more practical buy - smooth, strong, excellent dc, I love mine.

I agree strongly ! Or the smaller RO 90 DX. All Festool products are worth the money if you're a contractor, but some stand out more than others. Their sanders are insanely good. You should consider getting one in a package, with a CT36, as you'd save another $100 or so.

Another KILLER Festool product is their new oscillating cutter. (The deluxe kit) I use the Bosch MX30 E, and I love it, but I would love to have the guides, depth stop, and plunge base that the Festool offers. It will in fact likely be my next Festool purchase.

Of all the Festool products I wish I had, their routers don't even make my list.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 06-24-2015 at 4:11 PM.

I love all of my Festool equipment. The prices are steep but they are worth every penny. I have the 1400 and 1010 routers and love them both. I agree with others have said however, if you are getting your first Festool, I'd suggest the Domino.

I own a lot of festool tools and am a huge fan, but if the woodworking store sells Mirka, I would highly recommend a Mirka Ceros sander. I have the 5" and a 3".

I have fully immersed myself into the green kool-aid but I don't own a single router by Festool. I guess I had too many when I started drinking and I've never needed more than what I have. The routers and the Kapex are two lines of tools that I really don't see myself ever picking up. The Domino is a game-changer, however. That is one of the most used tools other than their sanders in my shop. The only problem with the Domino is now you have two to choose from! There was only one when I bought mine and it has and continues to serve me extremely well. My biscuit cutter and mortiser gather dust....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Mke

The OF 1400 is a great router! Is it worth the price? Only you can determine that.
    When I can get into the shop, I gravitate towards the Arts andCrafts, Art Nouveau, Greene and Greene, etc. styles of projects. Lots of curves, and edge profiling. I also do "one off", custom work on boat interior and exterior restoration, and have fabricated ultralight aircraft parts. It's not uncommon for me to have 3, 4, or all, of my routers setup simultaneously.
    I have the OF 2200 and the OF 1400. I also have 2 PC 8529's, one PC 890, a Milwaukee 5615, and some others that were given too me. (B&D and a Craftsman.) The two Festools are the best of the ones I have. Believe me when I say that I really like my PC8529's. They've been workhorses for me for well over a decade now. If they both crapped out tomorrow, I couldn't badmouth them. The 890 is "so-so",a nd I've never really liked the Milwaukee all that much. I find it clumsy in my hands. Others will be different.

The Festool's are ergonomically, very balanced. For routers that appear to be as big as they are, especially the OF 2200, they are smooth, very smooth, easy to operate and just kind of glide along. I always think the plunge isn't working properly because it is so smooth. They definitely cost some $$$$, but part of what you are buying into is a "system" concept that integrates across their product line for cross compatibility.

If someone were to set a half dozen routers on a table,and allowed you to pick just one for free based on ease of use and "feel", I'd be willing to bet you'd pick a Festool, even if you didn't know it was the most expensive on the table. The DeWalt 621 would be my next choice for strictly handheld.

I won't comment on their other products because you specifically asked about the router. The only other Festool product I have is a TS 75, which is a saw you need to have a reason in mind for.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 06-24-2015 at 6:12 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike,

I think I can guess the answer to this but one thing that might sway me into picking up an F router one of these days is the dust collection. Festool pretty much rules on dust collection and I assume their routers maintain that stance?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-24-2015 at 7:14 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Mike,

I think I can guess the answer to this but one thing that might sway me into picking up an F router one of these days is the dust collection. Festool pretty much rules on dust collection and I assume their routers maintain that stance?

Chris
    Yes, the routers are setup pretty well for dust collection. The edge shroud is okay, but unfortunately there is only so much suction you can get through that small of a port, so when the edge shroud is in use with the vacuum, you're still going to get some debris, but the bit area is clear and you can see your progress through the built in shroud. The built in shroud is spring loaded, which is very nice.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-24-2015 at 7:15 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The dust collection is the best I've ever experienced with a router.

For the record the dust collection is significantly better on the 1010 compared to the 1400, but the 1400 still has better dust collection than anything else out there.

Blog Entries
    Check some of the router reviews that include the routers you're interested in. Festool doesn't always review that well but, those that have them love them. It is interesting to see the areas where some excel and others fall short . dust collection is Festool's forte and routers are a challenge for collecting.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-24-2015 at 7:40 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler