Thread: Enjoying the Coastal Culture for a week

Enjoying the Coastal Culture for a week

We have been vacationing at Surfside SC for a week. We're a family of land locked land lovers, rarely travel outside our region in the Ozarks but have really enjoyed the days spent here along the South Carolina coast. This is the first time our daughters have been to an ocean beach and are in awe of the waves and sand. We chartered a fishing boat for a half day caught a few small fish. Took them on a two hour riverboat plantation tour, girls thought that was pretty boring. Banana boat ride and jet ski rides they thought was great. I'm not much of a fish eater back home but the fresh seafood here is wonderful. Our fishing guide had large bags of nice big shrimp in his cooler to use as bait. I kept telling him we needed to take those home and fry them up, nice ones are hard to come by back home. I could spend hours looking at some of these deep sea fishing boats at the docks, some of them look like million dollar rigs. Anyway, really enjoying the sights of this costal culture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wondered why it was so quite up on the hill. Nothing I like better than a coastal area. Partial to the mid north Oregon area but they're all hypnotic. Enjoy. Nice looking family.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 06-24-2015 at 7:08 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I'm way jealous!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Julian, how cool! You can't beat ocean and sand and sun. It's the ultimate Nirvana.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Wondered why it was so quite up on the hill. Nothing I like better than a coastal area. Partial to the mid north Oregon area but they're all hypnotic. Enjoy. Nice looking family.
    Hey Mike, I'd love to see the Pacific coast someday, never been there, it's certainly a long ways off for us. Might save up enough pennies someday to fly out and rent a car for site seeing.

My daughter lives there so we go up once or twice a year. If I can shake these vertigo spells I've had the last few weeks I want to drive up this summer. Need to take a few things to her, do some work on her house and bring back that planner I got at Habitat and the tiger maple I found. It's the ruggedness of the Oregon coastline that appeals to me. Love being there during a good storm when the waves are crashing against the cliffs and sea walls.

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

It's unnatural to live to far from the ocean. I grew up here surrounded by water from major rivers, the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic ocean. Salt life is the best

The blue dot on the map is the home of SawMill Creek and I grew up just a mile from Langley Air Force Base.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-25-2015 at 2:07 PM.

Keith, looking on Google Earth. Located on Sarah Creek?

Michael,

Yes, I'm on a peninsula with Sarah's Creek on the West and mouth of the York River on the East.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    It's unnatural to live to far from the ocean. I grew up here surrounded by water from major rivers, the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic ocean. Salt life is the best
    I truly miss being near the ocean. I grew up 1hr away from the Pacific. I would spend every free minute near the water when I was working in Kauai & Alaska.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Well we're down to our last day of playing in the ocean, heading back toward the Ozarks early tomorrow. We walked down the beach last night about 8p and out on a fishing pier, maybe 300-400' out into the ocean. Probably 100 folks fishing, (men, women & children) another 50 standing around talking. Beautiful clear night, waves crashing under the pier, strong breeze blowing in off the ocean, just a perfect evening to be out over the ocean. We only saw one fellow catch a fish during the 40 minutes we were there. I got the feeling these folks come out each night more for a social event than to fish. A burly fellow with no shirt is trying to crank in this fish, surrounding fishermen reel in their lines out of courtesy. The fellow reels in a hammerhead shark about 36". A semi circle of about 30 folks forms around the fisherman, taking photos as he holds the shark up for the photo op. The fisherman then drops the shark back into the water and receives a round of applause from the crowd. Everyone grabs their rods and go back to fishing. The scene reminded me of the "Cheers" tv show where everyone knows everyone else and cheers for Norm and Cliff when they enter the bar. I notice small plaques attached to the pier rail with names in memory of past fishermen. Good camaraderie among the fishermen. If I lived here I could see my self spending a couple nights a week out on the pier fishing we these folks.
    Last edited by julian abram; 06-26-2015 at 3:15 PM.