Thread: supermarket hardwood

supermarket hardwood

At least 2 big supermarket chains in the Minneapolis area have bundled heat treated plastic wrapped firewood which is stated to be hardwood. I see no bugs and each 5 dollar bundle will be ample for many spoons. I think I'll get a bundle, unwrap it and leave it in the garage. Has anyone used this resource for carving? Am I nuts? Comments please.

Nothing nuts about using wood for wood carving. If it doesn't work, you already know what to do with it.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Most of the bundles of firewood I've seen use the off cuts from the lumber industry. This is generally the bark and sap wood they cut off to make a flat surface for further processing. Personally I'd skip it, but you may find something good.

So far I found 2 splits of oak or ash, probably not good for utensils. A third one is maple. Despite checks at both ends I have enough to make a spoon 11 inches long with a big bowl. The wood cuts well with gouges and drawknives. The hook knife has difficulty. Hoping for other good finds in the $5.30 purchase.

Try the big box store and ask for the pallets. The lowest cross braces are usually hardwoods, 2 x 3" and 36" long. Watch out for nails and staples, but should yield quite a few spoons of oak or beech.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.