Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reporting Shoddy Electrical Work

Most of the heat tape I have seen is indeed terminated in a 120V wall plug, but you can also buy it by the foot and terminate it yourself.

It seems to me that the OP is trying to get some inspector to declare the installation unacceptable so he can avoid a personal confrontation with the business owner. I think he will not be successful with that strategy. He just needs to contact the people and force them to do the job right.

Art,
    With work like that, I would question whether the original HVAC contractor is capable of doing the job right! I would not allow them back in my house unless they presented me with a plan to fix the issue. I would research the issue and consult with at least one local expert and then make sure the contractors plan is blessed by the expert.

Raymond,
    It was my understanding that heat tape should only be used with metal pipe unless it has an automatic thermostat to keep it from overheating like it seems it did here! I think the brown pipe is a sign of the pvc staying hot for too long and getting brittle but I'm no expert.

Was there a thermostat on the heating tape and do you know the wrap rate (spacing between spirals) spec'ed by the manufacturer for that size pipe?
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 06-26-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Art, that is not the case. Sorry if my post led you down the wrong path. I have contcted the contractor and sent them pictures. I asked for a complete refund for the dehumidifier and told them that I would assume responsibility for repairing the hole in the wall from the drain line, replacing the siding, replacing the baseboard, removing the non-functional french drain, and cleaning or replacing the damaged tile from the leak. My letter told them that I do not trust their work. I did not tell them this, but, I never want them touching anything in my house. BTW - They replied yesterday and apologized for our negative experience. The are refunding our money and will pick up their equipment.

My search for somewhere to report them was just an attempt to see if someone can look at their practices before someone dies in a fire. IMHO - If they cannot handle heat tape, what are they doing with more complicated stuff? I am just a homeowner that wants installations done according to manufacturers instructions. That should not be to much to ask for.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 06-26-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added commect
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    from your pictures why are you complaining about shoddy electric install that is heat tape that plugs into an electric outlet. that would fall under HVAC inspections.

Jerome, the heat tape connected directly to a power strip inside of the unit with some clips that pushed on to brass tabs and I do not know what they are called. They had to take the side of the unit off to connect it. Sorry if I mis-spoke. I am not a well versed in building codes.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 06-26-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo again..

Enjoy Life...

Based on the pictures and the content of the thread so far, I would recommend that you contact the local housing inspector's office and ask for a meeting to show them the photos and ask them for names of qualified contractors to correct the work. You are correct in being concerned for this poor installation causing a fire or damaging expensive HVAC equipment.

Blog Entries
    I still think the heat tape manufacturer would be interested in those pics.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    Good advice Phil. We have until winter before the dehumidifier will be needed.

Mike - I am with you on trying to do everything myself. I will be so glad when we are on the other side of this mess.

Thanks all for your comments.
    I'm confused as to why you won't need the dehumidifier until winter? Are you that much different than us down here in KY.? We need them in the summer not winter. Winters are bone dry here. Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I still think the heat tape manufacturer would be interested in those pics.
    Oh that is not likely.

Their insurer may like to see them, but the manufacturer, nope.

The manufacturer already knows what happens if their product is used on plastic pipe, without a timer.

That is why they tell people not to do that.

Telling them people are doing so anyway would only cause them problems if they have to defend the product in court.

+1 to Sean's #22 post....

And will spare the horror stories on Elect. work,sometimes it's best not to air certain problems(not directed at ANYONE here).........imagine a house that got inspected(official building inspection) with no ground rod?Good luck,hope it all works out.

I don't understand why heat strips would be put on PVC plastic in the first place.
    Copper pipe in that area would transmit heart much better.
    Plastic will only melt.
    Just a thought on my part.
    Best wishes on getting it repaired properly.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

The unit will not be needed until winter because the A/C pulls the moisture during non-winter months. She uses alot of waterfor all of the herbs and vegetables she grows out there.

Enjoy Life...