View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heinz

53 56.99%
  • Simpy Heinz

11 11.83%
  • Del Monte

3 3.23%
  • Hunts

13 13.98%
  • Other

10 10.75%
  • None of the above you idiot - it's called Catsup!

6 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ketchup

I think I will have a polish dog at Costco for lunch today, With KETCHUP, yellow mustard, relish, kraut, and onions. Include a bottomless drink, for $1.62 out the door, and I'm stylin'.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

House recipe is the best I've ever had.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I dunno. Sugar is sugar: fructose or glucose. Fructose and glucose gives you sucrose. Google up for yourself on the difference between corn syrup and sugar. Bottom line, it is all sugar. Now maybe the taste is different...I dunno.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I dunno. Sugar is sugar: fructose or glucose. Fructose and glucose gives you sucrose. Google up for yourself on the difference between corn syrup and sugar. Bottom line, it is all sugar. Now maybe the taste is different...I dunno.
    This ties into the coffee thread, where some people can discern differences and others cannot. And I cannot.

I can't tell the difference between Coke sweetened with sugar and Coke sweetened w/ corn syrup. I don't doubt others can, and maybe I don't drink much coke so can't tell the difference.

But it is lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    with mustard only, unless you want to add diced onions. Those are the only options for A Hot Dog. Ditto for A Bratwurst, in case you were wondering.
    Your forgot the sauerkraut!!!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    What ever the wife buys!
    Ditto. We don't use much anyway.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The CS version has a bit of a metallic aftertaste. The sugar version doesn't. It was a big enough difference for me that I noticed it immediately and tracked down why. Ketchup is cheap. Get a Heinz and a Simply Heinz and try them side by side. It's a night and day difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    The CS version has a bit of a metallic aftertaste. The sugar version doesn't. It was a big enough difference for me that I noticed it immediately and tracked down why. Ketchup is cheap. Get a Heinz and a Simply Heinz and try them side by side. It's a night and day difference.
    My taste buds are just not very refined. I have a very hard time tasting the difference between regular Coke and Diet Coke, let alone ketchup made from sugar vs corn syrup. I have had people say they feel sorry for me that I can't taste things the way they do. I count it as a blessing, I just buy the cheap stuff, and keep things simple. I think I eat to live, not live to eat. I guess it goes without saying, but I am not a picky eater. I will eat pretty much anything that doesn't bite back or run away.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-30-2015 at 4:30 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    My taste buds are just not very refined. I have a very hard time tasting the difference between regular Coke and Diet Coke, let alone ketchup made from sugar vs corn syrup. I have had people say they feel sorry for me that I can't taste things the way they do. I count it as a blessing, I just buy the cheap stuff, and keep things simple. I think I eat to live, not live to eat. I guess it goes without saying, but I am not a picky eater. I will eat pretty much anything that doesn't bite back or run away.
    Non-diet and diet drinks taste world's apart to me. Any drink that is 'diet' always has a nasty aftertaste according to my taste buds. The initial taste is very similar between the two but then a second or two later, the diet drink's aftertaste hits me like a ton of bricks. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'll have to pick up a bottle next time I remember. I do recall thinking that Coke in Europe tasted different than Coke back here but that was a while ago. I wonder, is the ONLY difference CS and sugar between the two ketchups?

Blog Entries
    I guess I am just not a ketchup connoisseur, to me it makes no difference, they all taste pretty much the same. But then I never did an A to B comparison. Not like mustard where there are so many widely different styles.

As far as soda (known as pop here in Michigan): I am now allergic to any derivative of cocoa so Pepsi and Coke are out, I stick to Root Beer. And I don't need the extra 200 calories per can so I go with diet, much preferring A&W to Mug. Now A&W has a 10 calorie version which is much closer to the normal sweetened version, and I like that, although I have gotten used to the regular diet. But now if I take a sip of my wife's diet Pepsi, it tastes just awful. And I used to be a Pepsiholic.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-02-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Ole,

I'm not sure you need the stuff they put into diet drinks, either. I've read where some studies show that the diet drinks are worse than the overly-sugared drinks but ultimately, neither was all that great for you. I rarely drink soda, pop, coke any more...maybe a can a month now.

Blog Entries
    Ole,

I'm not sure you need the stuff they put into diet drinks, either. I've read where some studies show that the diet drinks are worse than the overly-sugared drinks but ultimately, neither was all that great for you. I rarely drink soda, pop, coke any more...maybe a can a month now.
    I agree, best to just drink water. But sometimes you crave something more than just H2O. I probably overdo the pop thing, but limit myself to no more than two a day. Probably better than overdoing it on beer, of which I am not fond of.
    NOW you tell me...

Sir Kensington's is also very good.
    http://sirkensingtons.com/offerings

I usually only have ketchup on a hamburger (in lieu of brown / steak sauce). Other than that and fries, what does everyone else put it on?

Wow this thread is really moving all over the place.

Now we're on to soda vs. beer, and the question of pretzels (mini-twists vs. original size, vs. rods).