View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heinz

53 56.99%
  • Simpy Heinz

11 11.83%
  • Del Monte

3 3.23%
  • Hunts

13 13.98%
  • Other

10 10.75%
  • None of the above you idiot - it's called Catsup!

6 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ketchup

I haven't had ketchup in 40 years. Anything that tastes better with ketchup shouldn't be eaten.

I like Heinz Ketchup but if it older than 6 months, it'll taste too sour.I always buy their smaller bottles for that reason.

I don't eat ketchup.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Brats should be parboiled in beer, and then finished-off on the grill. Alternately, you can do it all on the grill if you know what you're doing.

They should be served with mustard and onions. Sauerkraut should be available for people so inclined.

I think the German Beer Purity Law goes into all of this.

I'm actually on my way home to enjoy some brats. Usingers this time around but we also get them from a couple of small butcher shops.
    For brats, it's spicy mustard and sauerkraut (preferably homemade) for me. I don't parboil them anymore, because I can't stand to waste my good beer that way, and I think it cooks too much of the juice (fat/grease) out of them. For a real treat, sometimes I smoke them. Side of Bush's baked beans.

Amazing there's such passion here regarding tube steaks!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Brats should be parboiled in beer...
    hmmm...

That seems a tad severe. But if the kid is completely out of control, I guess it is worth a try...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Daddie's Favourite brown sauce all the way. HP is a close second.

This is a repeat, but seems appropriate here.

Used to work with a guy that put ketchup on everything, and it had to be Heinz. He would choose restaurants by what ketchup they had. On the rare occasion he and the wife ate out, and they didn't have Heinz, his wife carried a bottle in her purse for backup.

I don't know if there is any correlation to ketchup overdose, but he never spent a dime on anything he didn't need, and retired wealthy, to a golf course in Hawaii.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Ketchup on hot dogs and brats?
    Ketchup?

I so rarely use it...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks John, so you can get two types of Ketchup, one with sugar and one with corn syrup?

Interesting, we only have the one with sugar...........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Then you are definitely eating something.

But - it is not A Hot Dog. Which comes with mustard only, unless you want to add diced onions. Those are the only options for A Hot Dog. Ditto for A Bratwurst, in case you were wondering.
    Kent, you forgot the sauerkraut, that and mustard are the only things I put on a hot dog, with a properly toasted bun of course........Regards, Rod

Brats should be parboiled in beer, and then finished-off on the grill. Alternately, you can do it all on the grill if you know what you're doing.

They should be served with mustard and onions. Sauerkraut should be available for people so inclined.

I think the German Beer Purity Law goes into all of this.

I'm actually on my way home to enjoy some brats. Usingers this time around but we also get them from a couple of small butcher shops.
    Excellent post Phil, now I'm hungry..........Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Kent, you forgot the sauerkraut, that and mustard are the only things I put on a hot dog, with a properly toasted bun of course........Regards, Rod
    A properly garnished hot dog also requires chili, with optional shredded cheese and peppers. But no ketchup.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Thanks John, so you can get two types of Ketchup, one with sugar and one with corn syrup?

Interesting, we only have the one with sugar...........Rod.
    Simply Heinz and Organic Heinz both have sugar. They're both relatively new products. I prefer Simply Heinz. Hunts ketchup has sugar also, and always has I think, but it's not very good either way, IMHO.

Having grown up in New York, I have to say that I'm a mustard and sauerkraut guy, but mustard and sauerkraut doesn't go very well on hamburgers and french fries. Also, can't make a 3:00am bagel pizza with mustard and sauerkraut.

The history of sugar and corn syrup in the US has become very very very strange and bizarre. You should look it up if you want some entertaining reading, especially some of the crazy schemes manufactures concocted to get around the tariffs.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 06-30-2015 at 11:03 AM.

I believe Hunts has ketchup with both HFCS and sugar. The cheapest Hunts ketchup still seems to have HFCS in it. The more expensive Hunts advertises no HFCS on the bottle.