Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display case in cherry

Display case in cherry

I liked this design when I first saw it in an Ethan Allen showroom almost 20 years ago. I measured it and detailed it out in 3D CAD, bought the cherry, and blanked out all the parts.

A couple years went by, and I got around to making subassemblies. Still a collection of parts.

Finally, after moving this stuff with me into two different houses and shop setups, I finished it. Four 1/4" glass shelves inside, and two 2-1/8" dia. puck lights in the head. A rotating on-off dimmer is accessed on the head soffit when opening a door, for controlling the lights.

The Sketchup model is up on the 3D Warehouse.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 06-25-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Gene, it's definitely prize worthy. It's just so attractive .. has a bit of an Oriental feel and a great stance. Congratulations on a fine build.

Superb!
    Well designed and I agree with Mr. Hawkins...definitely has a Oriental feel.

Very beautiful!

Beautiful work Gene. We often see the CAD models, rarely see the finished project.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looks awesome, I love it!

A perfect example of "Persistence overcomes resistance"! The journey is as good as the result. Sweet.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Beautiful work. What are you going to display in it?

Very nice! I would have lost the pieces after a couple of moves.

That looks great!!!!
    Please DO NOT let my wife it LOL
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

What to put in it? Darned if I know. Should have thought about that first. I liked the look of it, empty, in the furniture store, so I blindly forged ahead.

Doodads. I thought some of my old tools, all shined up, might look nice in there, but DW said no.

For now, we have some family photos in frames, a few nice bird carvings, and two ceramic pieces from a potter we know and like.

Very well done. What did you use for the finish?

Dyed the cherry, then sealed it with GF Seal A Cell, then finished with four coats of GF Arm R Seal satin. Everything wiped.

Really nice project Gene!. Are the doors overlay style? Also, what did you do for the back? Is it cherry veneer plywood?

Everything is solid wood. The back is frame and panel, two panels actually, with a wide center stile. Stiles and rails are 3/4 thick, the panels are 1/2, rebated all four sides so the 1/4 tongue engages the grooves in the frame. A 1/8 x 1/8 reveal perimeter. Panels glued to top and bottom centerpoint only so they can float when the wood moves. I tried to get the panel stock as close to quartered as I could find.

Blog Entries
    Nice work Gene!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.