Thread: Locknut -G0766

Locknut -G0766

Since there have been a lot of questions about a locking nut for the banjo, headstock or tailstock on the G0766, and only one comes with the lathe itself........

I went to Grainger and ordered some that will fit........unfortunately, everywhere you look they are a bit pricey, and I went to our local hardware earlier today while I was out, and they did not carry the right size which is M18x2.50 .....so I went ahead after doing a quick google search for them and the cheapest is a pack of 25 for 13.05 + shipping.

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...Locknut-26LJ91

Just in case anyone else was interested. Way more than I need, but at least I will have a few extra on hand! After estimated shipping costs, they will come out to be about $1.00 a piece.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Hey Roger, hope all is well. Thought I'd ask what the reason is for the locking nuts. I too have read the threads but not sure I get the issue. Is it the fact that since they aren't lock nuts they will need adjusting every once in a while.

You could package up your extras, sell 2 for $12, and still save the rest of us from having to buy 25 and save money in the process

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Hey Roger, hope all is well. Thought I'd ask what the reason is for the locking nuts. I too have read the threads but not sure I get the issue. Is it the fact that since they aren't lock nuts they will need adjusting every once in a while.

You could package up your extras, sell 2 for $12, and still save the rest of us from having to buy 25 and save money in the process
    You pretty much said it well, Scott. Some just want to not have to reach underneath and adjust the nut on the bottom once in a while........never bothered me with my former G0698, nor with this new g0766...........just something I guess that is a feature people wish the lathe had..........I figured I would give a link to the right part. Grizzly parts list just mentions a m18x2.50 nut, but does not indicate anything about a locknut insert, so..........

I thought about sharing, that part is not a problem, but each person would have to pony up some shipping, and that would obligate me to make trips to the post office, and take gas, make some sort of financial arrangements, and well, I am too busy for all that anyway, .......everyone should be able to pick one up locally somewhere........I am surprised my local hardware did not have this lock nut, so.............I was forced to order.

This is not necessary, just nice, and just one of those little tweaks that one can do if they wish, so............
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If you have a real hardware store in your neck of the woods, they should have the nut on hand. I don't see it being a issue though.