Thread: Soaking Logs in Water Follow-Up

Soaking Logs in Water Follow-Up

The wood seems to be doing fine, I see no end splits. I replenish the water daily, really turns rancid fast. This post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...08#post2432108

Now I need to find out how to proceed. I know very soon after it comes out of the water it will start to split, humidity here very low and over 105 degrees.

So, what should I do? take a log out and seal the ends with paint, about all I have right now. How long do I need to wait to turn it? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I think you should consider moving to a more humid climate, like eastern PA where I live. Summer only 90 degrees or so and 85% humidity. Without the AC in my shop I would keep the wood moist just with hand perspiration.
    Why are you waiting to turn? Keep a spray bottle handy and spritz it once in a while. When you are done, paint it with Anchorseal or some other good wood sealer. Losing the free water gained while soaking will not cause the wood to crack. Wood cracks when it gives up moisture through the end grain faster than it can dry through the long grain. Anchor seal will seal the end grain and hopefully balance the moisture loss. After the sealant is dry you can toss the bowl into a paper bag for a couple weeks to further slow the moisture loss. Try it, it's only wood. You will learn by trying.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    I think you should consider moving to a more humid climate, like eastern PA where I live. Summer only 90 degrees or so and 85% humidity. Without the AC in my shop I would keep the wood moist just with hand perspiration.
    Why are you waiting to turn? Keep a spray bottle handy and spritz it once in a while. When you are done, paint it with Anchorseal or some other good wood sealer. Losing the free water gained while soaking will not cause the wood to crack. Wood cracks when it gives up moisture through the end grain faster than it can dry through the long grain. Anchor seal will seal the end grain and hopefully balance the moisture loss. After the sealant is dry you can toss the bowl into a paper bag for a couple weeks to further slow the moisture loss. Try it, it's only wood. You will learn by trying.
    faust
    Thanks Faust,

Are you saying that I can go out and cut a branch off a live tree and start turning it the same day? Why would I want/need to spray water on the piece while turning, wouldn't it be wet enough? That sounds like a good tip for dry seasoned wood to keep the dust down. I am really new to all this, sorry if my questions seems so simple.

Try anchorseal on the endgrain soon. It is water soluble and compatable. Keep a plastic bag over your piece even for lunch and anchorseal after roughing out.