Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compound Mitre saw Recomendations

I like my Makita LS1016 for clean and accurate cuts. Dust collection isn't good. I don't use the laser much.

The DeWalt shadow line alignment system is reputedly very good for providing an accurate cut mark.
    Festool lasers also get high marks (as does its dust collection).

Matt

I like my Hitachi C12FDH. It is a 12 inch non-slider but double bevel. About 8 inch cross cut capacity. Non-sliders seem more precise to me but my main reason for it is I use it on a bench most of the time and it doesn't require much room behind. I bought it reconditioned, I think it was only about $150. That 12 inch slider for $300 seems like a great deal, however, if you need the capacity.

I like 5 1/4 base. A saw that would cut it standing up would be great. My Hitachi won't. Bevel adjustments are easily but slower.

Well The old saw would not start today
    so I went to stan houston (tool store)to compare all their saws
    there was only two saws that had minimumn slop
    the Kapex and the Hitachi C10FSH 10-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser
    all the rest were sloppy
    We have some Kapex s at work
    two motors have been replaced on them
    accurate as ever, but bog down when the run into thick oak or maple crown

so I bought the Hitachi C10FSH with Laser

so what is blade(s) should I get for it?
    Carpe Lignum

Is the current Hitachi worn out? That's one of my favorite saws and would be either first or second on my list for doing crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Is the current Hitachi worn out? That's one of my favorite saws and would be either first or second on my list for doing crown.

so I bought the Hitachi C10FSH with Laser

so what is blade(s) should I get for it?
    Carpe Lignum

I'd get a Forrest Chopmaster - http://www.forrestblades.com/chopmaster/

I'd second that. They cut really well, my experience is when they start getting dull, they fall off a cliff quickly and get really dull quickly. Good blades though. FS Tool makes good blades as well, that's the majority of the blades we use, but that's more of an availability reason than anything. My carbide guy carries them and it's just a matter of telling him what I want and it shows up on his next round.

You actually found a C10FSH in stock that wasn't a fortune? Made in Japan, not the Chinese C10FSHPS?

We have a Tenryu Miter Pro Plus on one for fine work. Works as well as anything I've ever seen.

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/ten...ies-saw-blade/

I just did a little play shopping on Amazon and I think if I bought another 12 inch blade for my CMS it would be this one:

http://www.amazon.com/CMT-255-096-12...iter+saw+blade

I like CMT products. I also like Freud but all I saw was Freud Diablo - the throw away blades. Everybody speaks highly of the Forest blades but they are roughly twice as much. I wouldn't run away from a DeWalt but I won't buy another Hitachi. That's what I have now and it isn't completely flat. I think a Freud or CMT at half the price of a Forest is a good choice. Might not be the best you can get but it's a good blade that will hold up and cut a lot of trim well.

I have a DeWalt 12" slider that I bought in 2000. Still cuts true. I came across a 12" Bosch for cheap (used) and it cuts just as well. DeWalt blade is much better though. No lasers. I recommend both of them.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

My 12" Makita does everything I've ever asked of it.

Those Tenryu blades are amazing for the money, and you can buy one from a forum member at carbide processors. He may even offer a discount to forum members.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    ... I wouldn't run away from a DeWalt but I won't buy another Hitachi. That's what I have now and it isn't completely flat.....
    The actual Hitachi C10FSB and C10FSH are made in Japan and really good quality. When Phil said only it and the Kapex had minimal slop, I assumed he wasn't talking about the Chinese Hitachi sliders. The Chinese C10FSHPS is about $500, where the Japanese C10FSH is more like $900, with some people trying to get as much as $1500. They look almost identical and have the same specs. Hitachi just made a lousy version of their good saw.
    If you want a $500 version of a really good slider with lousy dust collection, the Dewalt DW717 at $500 was far better than the Hitachi Chinese one. The DW717 is currently discontinued and being blown out by various places including some HD at $299.

Got a DeWalt DWS780 12" Slider with the Forrest ChopMaster on it and I love it. Not that great on dust collection though, but thats with just a shop vac hooked to it. Havent built proper dust collection for it yet.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!