Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fave WW magazine?

Fave WW magazine?

Am currently into reviewing WW magazines, getting archives and going through them. looking for shop tips, wisdom, etc.

Am printing off the exceptional stuff and putting into a binder.

Am pleased to say that a lot of lightbulbs have gone off in my small mind.

Have FWW, Shop Notes, Woodsmith, and just finished American WW.

What others do you all think contain the most useful information archived, if one were to purchase the DVD?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

The AAW magazine American Woodturner has about the highest density of useful information of any of the magazines, but focussed, of course, on turning. I also really like American Lutherie, again a more specialized publication. FWW has certainly gotten discouraging, with recycling the same content over and over.

I like WOOD - http://www.woodmagazine.com/
    Also Shop Notes and Woodsmith are combining as one magazine.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

4. I agree with Steve, I like WOOD the best. Fine woodworking is excellent as well, but most of the articles and projects are beyone my abilities. Most of the other magazines are mostly full of ads or have projects that don't appeal to me at all.

I let all of mine expire. No more mags for me. After a while they all say the same things over and over. Everything is online these days and it works for me.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I let all of mine expire. No more mags for me. After a while they all say the same things over and over. Everything is online these days and it works for me.
    +1 I can't seem to throw out the ones I have, dating back to the second issue of FWW. But they just sit. If I need info on a topic, I look it up on line.
    Regards,
    Dick

I have the archive DVD's for FWW, ShopNotes, Woodsmith, Wood (through 2011), full American Woodworker, most years of Popular Woodworking, Woodworkers Journal and Woodwork Magazine. Of these, the best advanced woodworking articles come from Fine Woodworking and Woodwork, but I really use many of the ideas from ShopNotes and Woodsmith. I also have several good CD's and DVD's on SketchUp and recommend the 2 disks by Joe Zeh and the two by Bob Lang. Our woodworking club (the Western NC Woodworkers Association) has the full set of Fine Woodworking magazine all the way back to #1.

None.

FWW was great - back in the day. I learned a lot from it - most importantly, I realized that the seemingly impossible stuff could be learned, and they challenged me to keep reaching.

Then - they went down-market, and I cancelled. The day the infamous Dowelled Drawer Construction made the cover - the freakin' cover of FWW - was the last one I held - and I did not even read that one, I was so aggravated.

Shoulda been titled "Drawers for First Time DIY" - and available on a free tear sheet at the BORG. You've got to target the right market for your product, no?

The only one out there today that would grab my attention is the new 360 place. Their price isn't high - I think their price is what you have to pay go get something of that quality - from guys that legitimately know their stuff. Otherwise, you follow the mass-market downward spiral of FWW, PWW............

Haven't gone there yet, but I have considered it. Actually - ought to do it simply as a vote of support.......
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    I like WOOD - [URL]http://www.woodmagazine.com/
    +2. But be warned: they have also started recycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    None.

Then - they went down-market, and I cancelled. The day the infamous Dowelled Drawer Construction made the cover - the freakin' cover of FWW - was the last one I held - and I did not even read that one, I was so aggravated.

Shoulda been titled "Drawers for First Time DIY" - and available on a free tear sheet at the BORG. You've got to target the right market for your product, no?

The only one out there today that would grab my attention is the new 360 place. Their price isn't high - I think their price is what you have to pay go get something of that quality - from guys that legitimately know their stuff. Otherwise, you follow the mass-market downward spiral of FWW, PWW............
    Hey Brother Bathurst, How did I miss your complaint letter to FWW when they put Norm Abrams on the cover with his BORG approach?

I looked @ 360 it is $10 per month. Most of the stuff was pretty cool. Haven't made a commitment yet.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I've been a WOOD subscriber for 20+ years and it's still my favorite and most of the items I build have been based on their plans, it's just been appropriate for my skill and style. Woodsmith and ShopNotes are also favorites for tips and techniques. I think all magazines end up recycling content at some point over their lifetime and for those of us that have been around a while, it's hard to show us something new, especially as our skills progress. It's also so easy now to just go online and find a tip or solution to anything so it makes it a challenge for the print media to stay fresh.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I'll second AAWs American Woodturner. Easily the most outstanding ww related mag I have seen. I did like Shop Notes but not following over to Woodsmith. I still like FWW. Of all the furniture/flatwork mags I think it's tops. I have to admit being disappointed as well in the...err...less traditional methods they have added.

FWW. the online subscription is great. Gives you digital access to the latest issue and a searchable index of all past articles. Awesome.

I've had a subscription to Wood and FWW (print and online) for about three years. Before that I was an avid subscriber and reader of Fine Homebuilding, which is semi related to WW.

Fine woodworking for over 20 years. They are the most expensive magazine so I don't know why they charge to use their website.

I get AAW magazine too