Thread: Symposium Verion 3

Symposium Verion 3

Hectic, energetic, crowded & exciting to say the least. What a day!!! Couple tidbits.....

1.) The Robust AB with the long table and 3hp is a beast of a lathe.

2.) Powermatic has a swing-away option for the 3520B. No pricing today but maybe at the end of the show.

3.) Powermatic has a little clip bracket for the spindle lock bottom to keep it engaged. Free give-away. I'll see how it works.

4.) Depending on who you speak with, the 3520C machine is maybe next year or never heard of C machine plans.

Here's an upload dump like yesterday in no particular order.

http://s191.photobucket.com/user/dav...osium%20Friday

Great photos David!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Its really starting to flesh out now - time to get serious. Don't envy you making demo choices. Too many on the program :-0

Jet talked about an upgrade to the 1642 'coming in about a year' when I talked to them at the Tampa symposium 2 years ago. I take anything they say with a grain of salt until I see at least prototypes...

Enjoy the Symposium, I am jealous!

The powermatic swing away looks like Tom Steyer's (JT Turning Tools) "Down n' Out" design. $359 for the Powermatic. I bought one for the Jet 1642 and love it.
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 06-26-2015 at 5:55 PM.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

David, I'm afraid I posted some Friday pictures to your Thursday thread, sorry!

I asked (Nick Cook) if the PM swing away would work with the lower bed extension and it does.

I got a similar non-committal wink about the 3520C.

Doug Thompson has 1/8" parting tools here. He hadn't been able to get the heat treatment right last I spoke to him but was working on it. I picked one up and it's very nice.

I saw Robo but he was engaged with a customer. Will try to say hello tomorrow.

I bought my 3520B in Dec. The label plate on the lathe says rev c. The only change I could find was they added a clip bracket for a spindle lock

thank you David for sharing the pictures..enjoyed the peek at pittsburgh
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    David, I'm afraid I posted some Friday pictures to your Thursday thread, sorry!

I asked (Nick Cook) if the PM swing away would work with the lower bed extension and it does.

I got a similar non-committal wink about the 3520C.

Doug Thompson has 1/8" parting tools here. He hadn't been able to get the heat treatment right last I spoke to him but was working on it. I picked one up and it's very nice.

I saw Robo but he was engaged with a customer. Will try to say hello tomorrow.
    Doug,

I got the same answer about the lower bed extension & the down & out. However, I use my bed extension in the upper position and then want to use the down & out attacthed to the end of the extension. They couldn't give a definitive answer on that. On my machine, there's one non-tapped hole on the end-face of the bed extension. I'm going to make a paper template and take it to the show today and see how it looks.

I'd love to see a tutorial video on how the ring gear edge was done on the bowl in this photo: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...psdw1nhrev.jpg

Very unique!
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

Wish I was there! As soon as the Powermatic swing away is available, I'm buying one! Can you get a picture of the spindle lock?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Wish I was there! As soon as the Powermatic swing away is available, I'm buying one! Can you get a picture of the spindle lock?

Pat,

Very simple install. You could make something similar on your own but anyway......just a small flat piece that fits inside of the radius ears of the spindle lock button and then a bent piece that slides overtop of the button and holds it in place. Lift the bent piece to disengage. Doesn't hold the spindle perfectly tight, maybe a degree or two slop each way but good enough to free up 1 hand. Only way I know of to get perfect dead-nuts no movement in the spindle is picture 3.

pw1.jpg pw2.jpg pw3.jpg

Cool, thanks David. I saw that spindle lock before on a lathe at Craft Supplies. I thought maybe Powermatic had a different one at the symposium. But I'll have to get one of those also when they become available for sale. I could make one, but then the color wouldn't match my lathe!

I believe the color could be the same as International Harvester Safety Yellow. I used to design and fabricate ergonomic handling equipment, and we painted it that color for visibility and branding.

http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck...50-53_high.jpg

Alan Wright. It's an actual ring gear from a transmission. Would have been cool if it was wood. The bowl was beautifully turned.