Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone shoot YouTube Videos?

Does anyone shoot YouTube Videos?

I am looking for a budget friendly set up to start shoot some YouTube videos.

I have a Sony DCR-SR45 Handycam Hybrid HDD
    I can shoot, but I can't get the video off the camera. I get the sound, but no PIC.

Anyone using the Sony?

Is there a better option?
    - Camera?
    - Software?
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Thanks for moving this, I wasn't sure where to post it.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

What format is the video off the camera? What software are you using to view the video? I shoot YouTube videos with my telephone, a 2 year old LG Rumor Reflex.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I use Cyberlink PowerDirector13 to process my videos. About $50 for the basic program. That's all you need for menus, titles, producing to video files, writing DVD/Blueray discs.

Three ways I get the video off the camcorder.
    1. Copy to SD card in the cam, then to the computer.
    2. Connect the HDMI out to my Hauppauge capture card.
    3. Transfer the files with the USB port.

I recommend producing the videos to the .MWV format for Youtube. Due to the codecs used, there aren't any copyright issues with YT.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 06-26-2015 at 9:26 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    I have a Sony DCR-SR45 Handycam Hybrid HDD
    I can shoot, but I can't get the video off the camera. I get the sound, but no PIC.
    How are you importing the files? What OS? Which player are you reviewing the file with? You might just be missing the a codec needed to view what you've already captured.

GoPro Hero 3 and 4 seem to be pretty popular choices for home-made YouTube videos. That Sony you'd mentioned should work fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    What format is the video off the camera? What software are you using to view the video? I shoot YouTube videos with my telephone, a 2 year old LG Rumor Reflex.
    I have not been able to get them off the camera. The SD reader that I have will not read a Sony Memory Stick PRO

I tried my phone, that works well for video, but the audio is terrible. I could should the video and then add the voice over later.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    How are you importing the files? What OS? Which player are you reviewing the file with? You might just be missing the a codec needed to view what you've already captured.

GoPro Hero 3 and 4 seem to be pretty popular choices for home-made YouTube videos. That Sony you'd mentioned should work fine though.
    Windows 8.1, Microsoft Movie Maker
    I am missing the cable that came with the Sony Camera. I have a USB to Mini-B, but it may be that the Sony USB to Mini-B is propitiatory because my laptop does not see it.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I use Cyberlink PowerDirector13 to process my videos. About $50 for the basic program. That's all you need for menus, titles, producing to video files, writing DVD/Blueray discs.

Three ways I get the video off the camcorder.
    1. Copy to SD card in the cam, then to the computer.
    2. Connect the HDMI out to my Hauppauge capture card.
    3. Transfer the files with the USB port.

I recommend producing the videos to the .MWV format for Youtube. Due to the codecs used, there aren't any copyright issues with YT.
    Neat program, I purchased version 13 with a couple of add-ons
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

You can get a card reader fairly inexpensively, I imagine your camera has a memory card. It's an extra step to take but is very effective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post

I have not been able to get them off the camera. The SD reader that I have will not read a Sony Memory Stick PRO
    Well, easy solution, that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I have uploaded videos to YouTube from my phone and from edited multi camera content. I have edited from both Windows Free Live Movie maker and Womble's $99 MPEG Video Wizard, in both cases uploading an MP4 file. Sorry I can't help with your specific problem. As far as good sound, depending on what you are shooting, you really need a good close in mic, otherwise everything will sound far off or hollow. The Wood Whisperer uses a lavalier mic. A quality shotgun mic on the camera will help. Don't expect the sound from your camera's built in mic to be much better than the sound from a good Iphone.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 06-28-2015 at 6:44 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I have uploaded videos to YouTube from my phone and from edited multi camera content. I have edited from both Windows Free Live Movie maker and Womble's $99 MPEG Video Wizard, in both cases uploading an MP4 file. Sorry I can't help with your specific problem. As far as good sound, depending on what you are shooting, you really need a good close in mic, otherwise everything will sound far off or hollow. The Wood Whisperer uses a lavalier mic. A quality shotgun mic on the camera will help. Don't expect the sound from your camera's built in mic to be much better than the sound from a good Iphone.
    Thanks for the reply. I have several mics that I can use. I just need a camera that accepts one LOL
    I am a mobile DJ on the weekends and lave a lavaliere and several wireless handheld mics.

Looking at doing the videos without sound for now and doing a voice over to add commentary.

I will start with the delivery of the shed on Tuesday morning and see what I can do.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

2 MORE DAYS!!!!

My son & I removed our existing privacy fence and gate on the side of the house where the shed will be rolled through.
    We added a chainlink gate that will swing completely out of the way. Need to keep the dog in the yard
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

2 more days until you shoot YouTube videos? Probably didn't need to remove the fence for it. ;-)