Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laser tube safe working current ?

laser tube safe working current ?

Hi Folks,

I am a little confused by the specs on my new laser. I don't want to abuse it.

It has a SPT C130 laser tube in it. The question is ...in the table below it states max current is 23-30 ma. That's seems to be a wide range for max.
    I set my controller to max out at 65%. That puts out exactly 27 ma on the amp meter. Is that good or is it too hot ?

Thanks in advance,

Gozzie

Specification & Parameters of 130wLaser Cutter Tubes
    Laser cutter tube Model SPT-C130
    Laser cutter tube Length 1650mm
    Laser cutter tube Pipe Diameter 80±1mm
    Laser cutter tube Type of Cooling Water-cooling 15-25°C
    Laser cutter tube Impulse Frequency 100% to 5KHZ
    Laser cutter tube Gross Weight 4.8Kg
    Laser cutter tube Carton Packing 1780*170*160mm
    Laser cutter tube Wavelength 10.6um
    Laser cutter tube Mode of Excitation Electric excitation
    Beam polarization mode Linear reasonably
    Beam Divergence Angle 3.1mrad
    Laser cutter tube Light Beam Quality ≤1.1
    Laser cutter tube Stability 10%
    Laser cutter tube Lasing Mode Much lower order film
    Output Power Stable Value 130W
    Laser cutter tube Max Output Power 150W
    Laser cutter tube Starter Voltage 26~28KV
    Laser cutter tube Working Voltage 20~23KV
    Laser cutter tube Starter Current 6~8mA
    Laser cutter tube Max Working Current 23~30mA
    Laser cutter tube Spot Diameter 5±1 mm

Thunder Laser MARS 90 (130 watt)
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel
    1 Pencil Sharpener (manually operated)

I by no means know for sure but I think your loosing a lot of power that way. If your controllers set at max out of 65% and you set power setting to 100% your still only getting 65% power to your work. I was told to set my controller to 100% but to keep the pwr setting below 90% Kinda like having a governor on a car to keep the car from getting to its max speed. What goods it if you have a car that can go 200mph but you have it set to never exceed 125. Take the gov off and only run the car to 190 to conserve the engine.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

This is a matter of philosophy. Your [system, be it laser, car, airplane, lead-acid battery, etc.] is capable of X but operating at that level will quickly wear, use up, overheat, or otherwise degrade the [system] so you want to keep it, for example, 90% of X or less, so you have two choices. Either you install a governor that independently sets the desired limit despite what you say, or you have no governor and rely on the operator knowing not to exceed the limit. The governor may simply cap your command, so saying anything above 90% is capped at 90; or it may scale everything, so your 0-100% input value gets scaled down to 0-90 for the laser.

The good thing about the governor is that it protects the system from a naive, inattentive, or spiteful user who might unwittingly or purposefully push it into the redline and cause premature failure. The bad thing about the governor is that it prevents the operator from intentionally pushing the system into the redline under compelling conditions. Some early fighter planes had physical stops installed on the control stick to prevent cocky young pilots from pulling too many g's because high g's weakened the airframe and could eventually result in structural failure, but it also prevented a pilot from intentionally over-g'ing the plane under life-threatening conditions such as a dog fight or imminent crash. You may have a high value cutting job where you need to eek that last bit of power and speed out of your laser in order to meet an extremely tight deadline, and the value of the job far exceeds the cost of subsequently replacing the tube, but the governor gets in your way...

So, if you want to protect the system from your own mistakes or from misuse by a less experienced/responsible user (such as a new hire at a business, or a junior member in a co-op), install the governor. If you can take responsibility for yourself and are ready to deal with the consequences if you screw up, skip the governor and make sure you always pay attention to what you are doing.

So, you ask what good is a car that can go 200mph but is set to never exceed 125, and then you say to remove the governor and limit yourself to 190 to conserve the engine... Well, if your buddy borrows the car or a thief takes it on a joy ride, they might ruin the engine by pushing the limits too high. The alternative there is to keep the governor but adjust its limit from 125 to 190 so no one accidentally or intentionally exceeds "safe" rpms.

Thanks Bert. I guess I may have said that wrong. I think we see it the same way.
    I took the 30ma max rating times 90% which is 27ma. I then kept raising the power levels to find that 27ma reading. At a 65% power level on the controller I got a 27ma exactly on the meter.

What bothers me is should I do 90% of 30ma or 90% of 23ma. I chose the first because the other would be way low on power... but will 27ma burn out the tube too fast.
    It's rated for over 9000 hours but at what power level ? I think the manufactures should be more specific. 23-30 ma is a large spread.

Glen that is an excellent explanation for the reasons of governors.

Gozzie
    Last edited by Ron Gosnell; 06-27-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel

That 27 mA or whatever is continuous duty, correct? Like when cutting material It should not come into play when engraving. Or otherwise think of it as a 87 watt machine.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hi Bill,

Yes that is a continuous cut. Straight line without any corners to keep it stable for testing.

Gozzie
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel

Nobody's is going to borrow my laser maybe the car was a bad example but it illustrated the point well I thought. I know that I personalty will not exceed 90% pwr on my machine fact is to date I have never gone above 65% power. But thats me I can afford the extra time to run a little slower at lower power . I understand that in a business environment you want to run as fast as possible, so setting the controller is probably a good idea. Especially if your not the only one running your equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    This is a matter of philosophy. Your [system, be it laser, car, airplane, lead-acid battery, etc.] is capable of X but operating at that level will quickly wear, use up, overheat, or otherwise degrade the [system] so you want to keep it, for example, 90% of X or less, so you have two choices. Either you install a governor that independently sets the desired limit despite what you say, or you have no governor and rely on the operator knowing not to exceed the limit. The governor may simply cap your command, so saying anything above 90% is capped at 90; or it may scale everything, so your 0-100% input value gets scaled down to 0-90 for the laser.

The good thing about the governor is that it protects the system from a naive, inattentive, or spiteful user who might unwittingly or purposefully push it into the redline and cause premature failure. The bad thing about the governor is that it prevents the operator from intentionally pushing the system into the redline under compelling conditions. Some early fighter planes had physical stops installed on the control stick to prevent cocky young pilots from pulling too many g's because high g's weakened the airframe and could eventually result in structural failure, but it also prevented a pilot from intentionally over-g'ing the plane under life-threatening conditions such as a dog fight or imminent crash. You may have a high value cutting job where you need to eek that last bit of power and speed out of your laser in order to meet an extremely tight deadline, and the value of the job far exceeds the cost of subsequently replacing the tube, but the governor gets in your way...

So, if you want to protect the system from your own mistakes or from misuse by a less experienced/responsible user (such as a new hire at a business, or a junior member in a co-op), install the governor. If you can take responsibility for yourself and are ready to deal with the consequences if you screw up, skip the governor and make sure you always pay attention to what you are doing.

So, you ask what good is a car that can go 200mph but is set to never exceed 125, and then you say to remove the governor and limit yourself to 190 to conserve the engine... Well, if your buddy borrows the car or a thief takes it on a joy ride, they might ruin the engine by pushing the limits too high. The alternative there is to keep the governor but adjust its limit from 125 to 190 so no one accidentally or intentionally exceeds "safe" rpms.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I am assuming you just put a red line on the mA meter and be done with it. That's why tachs have red lines. Bert I agree with you nobody but me runs my machine.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

My question would be why are you hitting 90% mA at only 65% setting?
    When you have it set at 65% do you feel like you're getting the full power of an 80w tube?
    Do you feel like it should be able to produce more power?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    When you have it set at 65% do you feel like you're getting the full power of an 80w tube?
    His power supply is over powering his tube. At 65% he is getting what he should at 90%. He may be able to adjust the supply down to where it puts out the correct voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    His power supply is over powering his tube. At 65% he is getting what he should at 90%. He may be able to adjust the supply down to where it puts out the correct voltage.
    If anyone knows how to do this please advise. That would be the ticket.
    I'm not experienced on laser power but at 27ma I believe it's hitting 100 watts plus. 4" lens.... speed =6..... power= 65%.... just cuts through 3/4 pine board on testing

Gozzie
    Last edited by Ron Gosnell; 06-28-2015 at 9:54 AM.
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel

The PSU will be able to provide current for a range of tubes, (a 150 watt supply will run a 130 - 180 watt tube) so is likely set to run the bigger tube in it's range. There is a small screw hole on the PSU that allows access to a potentiometer to adjust peak current and gauge output.

The PSU is likely set by the factory to pump 30mA to power a 180 watt tube (the figures look about right) and has not been checked by the seller before being sent out.

27mA on a 1650mm widebody tube will be fine.
    You did what !

^^^^^^ This spot on and a lot better than my reply
    You did what !

Thanks Dave,

I feel much better about the 27ma now.
    I'm going to look for the pot and try to adjust it for everything to match 27ma at 100%
    I'm a little OCD about things like that.

Gozzie
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    Makes perfect sense now.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8