Thread: Log chunk seasoning question

Log chunk seasoning question

A tree service company is clearing out a patch of woods along the side of an elementary school property near where I live. There are some ~60’ tall maples (and maybe other hardwoods) in the area that’s being clear-cut.

I talked with the tree company guy today and I have the opportunity to grab some beautiful pieces of freshly cut maple (~14”-20” diameter, straight, clear and as long as I can cart away). This is my chance of a lifetime to grab a couple pieces for doing “in-the-round”/3D carvings on a bigger scale than I’ve ever tried before.

Sadly, the only place I have to store them is in an apartment setting. Because of this, I can only grab a couple/few pieces in the 2’ to 5’ length ballpark. Nonetheless, this is my chance to grab a couple pieces that could end up being great for doing a Cigar Store Indian, Ship’s Figurehead, Totem Pole or something like that.

My question is about seasoning the log chunks without losing them to checking/splitting. The only thing I know to do is fully sealing the ends with carpenter’s glue or latex paint, debarking the pieces and then waiting for a couple years before I even think about going to work. I’d appreciate any input on whether this is a viable approach or if something else would be a better idea. Thanks for your help.

Anchor seal is much superior to latex paint or carpenters glue.
    If they've been cut more than a few days chances are they have already started to "check" especially if it has been hot and dry where they are located and they have not been covered. You can cut the ends off past the checks and immediately seal them to help prevent further cracking.
    Seal the ends with Anchor Seal, get them in the shade off the ground and hope for the best is the only advice I can give you. Chances are they will still check some no matter what you do but you can try to minimize it.

Don't use latex paint to seal the ends. Anchorseal is a good commercial product but for only a log or two, use paraffin wax. You can get the wax at the grocery store. Just melt it in a double boiler and brush it on the log ends.

If your apartment is the only place you have to store the logs, put them in the coolest, darkest place you can. The wood will probably spalt due to the internal moisture present but hopefully it won't check/split. The spalting might even interest add to your carving.

Good luck and congrats on the log score.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

If you can get a nice flat cut on both ends, I'd seal them with paraffin was and use them as a coffee or end table, taller pieces for a plant,etc, stand. (Protect the floor of course). Designer shops here sell them for much more than their firewood value!!