Thread: A little weed pot.

A little weed pot.

Looking through the firewood pile the other day and found this chunk of honey locust. It's been there about 10 years and I had forgot it was even there. Now I'm going to have to search for more. It's about 5 1/2 inches high and finished with 3 coats of WOP. Drilled to about 1/4 inch from the bottom. I don't have any tools I could hollow it with so it didn't get hollowed.

weed pot 1.jpg
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Very pretty piece. I hope you have some more chunks in the wood pile.

You've got some nice firewood up there. I love the grain and the shine. Nicely done Rick.

Red
    RED

Weed pots are fun and easy with no hollowing. The weight is really necessary for stability usually. Very nice piece.

That is a nice looking weed pot. Our turning club is making over 50 for charity. We are using plastic and glass tubes for the liner. I think they are test tubes purchased online.

Nice Rick! Really like the color and the grain in that. Hopefully you find some more hidden gems in that wood pile.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

I really like it. I'm going to try some with a wider base similar to yours. i'm using willow, but the bark comes right off.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Gorgeous piece there!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith View Post
    I really like it. I'm going to try some with a wider base similar to yours. i'm using willow, but the bark comes right off.
    No bark on that one Stan. It was so old and dry it was falling off as I carried it into the house. I was originally thinking of a round base like many you see but when I got to this shape I liked it better so left it like that.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

I"ve only turned one. It was willow and still pretty wet so I dried it some in the microwave half way through the turning process. I used 20 sec intervals. Gave it away and didn't take a pic. It's very plain compared to the nice grain on yours. Guess I'll have to be more watchful for branches now.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith