Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Play "What Would You Charge"

Let's Play "What Would You Charge"

Some engravers are all over the place with what they will charge to do a job.....one guy charges $1 and another charges $3. We all have our own calculation ($2/min or material cost times three, etc). If you charge too little, eventually you will go out of business. If you charge too much, eventually you will go out of business. So how do you find the sweet spot?

Let's play "What Would You Charge" and listen to each other's rationale. Here's an example of a job:

1) It's for an existing good customer with a national name brand (take your pick.....McDonalds, Home Depot, Sears.....basically a well known company) that has the potential for a lot of new business.
    2) The job is to engrave 500 maple wood cutting boards that weigh 5lbs each
    3) It takes 5 minutes and 20 seconds to engrave each board (you are not allowed to do the job faster......so it does not matter if you have a 30 watt Rabbit or a 130 watt Trotec). This time does not include loading and unloading. Regardless of the size of your bed, you can only engrave one at a time.
    4) Customer supplies the boards......so your material cost is $0
    5) Customer wants you to pick up and deliver the boards 40 minutes (one way) from your shop.....100 boards per week for five weeks.
    6) Your shop is on the second floor.
    7) No asking for additional clarification.

What would you charge? Would it be different if you were bidding on the job against 3 other companies? Would it be different is the customer was Joe's Automotive and Fishing Supply?

(hopefully, we can make this an ongoing series......I'll find it much more entertaining than a thread asking me to help identify a font).
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Interesting, a few other things I would factor in.

1 Who pays for damages?
    2 Is the design the exact same on all or is there some variable text?
    3 Salary (with benefits included) of person running the machines?
    4 Do you have enough capacity to do this job too or will you have to turn down other jobs to meet their deadlines?
    5 Will you have to pay any overtime to get this done?
    6 What floor is their company on, can they accept pallets?
    7 Can I do it all at once in one delivery to save back and forth?
    8 Do you have a vehicle big enough to transport all these in at once?
    9 Is it possible for them to switch to you for the supply too if you meet their supplier's cost? (I prefer to work on products I know vs some unknown supplier, also increases profit per sale)

Obviously you didn't read #7.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Well, since #7 is there, I'd no quote the job because there's not enough information.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Same as Scotty, not quoting on something I have no idea what my liabilities will be
    You did what !

Lol I'd no quote then. I don't have enough info, apparently I don't even know the liabilities or my own input costs
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Obviously you didn't read #7.
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 06-28-2015 at 7:46 PM.

Haha! You guys are taking this THAT serious? It was intended to be kind of a light-hearted learning experience for newbies.........I wasn't asking you to sign away your soul to the devil.

I tried to throw in a few twists (like carrying 1+ ton of wood up/down stairs that people might not factor into their pricing decision). I added #7 because I knew 1 or 15 people would send a laundry list of additional fact questions which I really didn't feel like making up answers to.

Or maybe you just don't want to show people how you calculate your pricing when you bid on a job......and that's fine too.

Haha! You guys are taking this THAT serious? It was intended to be kind of a light-hearted learning experience for newbies.........I wasn't asking you to sign away your soul to the devil.

I tried to throw in a few twists (like carrying 1+ ton of wood up/down stairs that people might not factor into their pricing decision). I added #7 because I knew 1 or 15 people would send a laundry list of additional fact questions which I really didn't feel like making up answers to.

Or maybe you just don't want to show people how you calculate your pricing when you bid on a job......and that's fine too.
    No problem playing the game, but you didn't give enough info to quote it. Are they all the same? Everyone different? If something changes is it something that can be done with print merge or is it so different, each one is keyed in manually?

Those things can can radically change the price, I think that was Keith's point. Define the job a little more and we can all play.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Since the boards are 5 pounds each and you must deliver 100 per week thats 500 pounds to deliver on each trip. It should be very easy to make two trips from your delivery vehicle to the second floor using a heavy duty cart to deliver 50 at a time. I would guess about 30 minutes per trip using the building elevator so about one hour on the premises and 80 minutes of driving time or two hours and twenty minutes delivery labor cost total.

A) Add your delivery labor costs of 2 hours and twenty minutes per trip times five = eleven hours and thirty minutes.
    B) Add the standard cost per mile (80 miles times 5 = 400 miles total) for the transportation costs.
    C) Add your engraving charge for 5 minutes and 20 seconds.
    Design time = zero, assuming all 500 boards are identical.
    D) Add your company percentage profit margin.
    E) Add your company percentage overhead.

The problem with this senerio is that labor, profit and overhead numbers will vary significantly from business to business and even more so based on physical location due to wage scales and the cost of living.
    I have never been shy sharing my costs for jobs that I do in my shop but my East Coast rates are much lower than what you will find on the West Coast.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-28-2015 at 9:29 PM.

OK since I don't run a business and I'm gonna take this job on for some extra income, and I know absolutely nothing about real world pricing of jobs. I'm going to assume their all the same.OK
    80 Min's driving time. I want $20 per hour plus Mileage which is impossible to guess but lets say 15 miles city traffic 40mins one way. .56 a mile cost $8.40 one way 16.80 RT 20 mins to run in grab a pallet jack load the boards into your truck (ramp roll right in) . 20 mins to unload you have a service elevator.

80 mnin drv time
    40 min load and unload 2hr tot $40+16.80 milages. so 56.80 round up $60 pickup and deliver 100brds
    now 7 min engraving each board includes load and unload $1 per min 7 bucks so so rough est 760 per 100 boards.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

OK.....let's assume all the same......a logo provided in a vector format by the customer.

Oh, and no elevator Keith!!!! Haha!

Steve your changing your own rule 2 people have made the decision there is an elevator come on guy

OK.....let's assume all the same......a logo provided in a vector format by the customer.

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hey nobody will play if you changes rules mid flight, as it stood we have to make assumptions to each his own assumtions thus each pricing will be a lot different. But by you changing things then we that have participated will have to re do the job, NOT GONNA HAPPEN

so now no bid I guess

Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Well, since #7 is there, I'd no quote the job because there's not enough information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Hey nobody will play if you changes rules mid flight
    This is exactly what customers do when you don't force them to provide enough information... at which point I nod towards Steve's answer and politely show them the door.

Though I do find it amusing the "game" is quickly turning into a real-world scenario
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I would tell them $6 each and they have to do the transportation or pay for shipping. Also they need to provide a couple extra in case of engraving problems.
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines