Thread: Stanley 45...

Stanley 45...

Got a chance at a Stanley 45 with 14 cutters. The guy wants $60. Is that a good price???
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Search Ebay completed listings for comparables. Nobody can answer a question like that without seeing the plane in person, then factoring in their own ideas of value.

On the other end of the spectrum I paid $250 for a NIB 45 marketed by Monkey Wards and was happy with that price. I kind of keep an eye on them and $60 does not sound too shabby if all the parts are there.

Its funny, but the Monkey Wards one has beautiful rosewood.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Got a chance at a Stanley 45 with 14 cutters. The guy wants $60. Is that a good price???
    I have to somewhat agree with Mel on this. There are just too many ifs with a Stanley 45 to make an 'informed' pronouncement without seeing what is being pronounced upon.

14 cutters/blades means there are some missing. The first edition came with 17 blades.

Here are two threads that may help:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...04#post1176704

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...63#post1239963

The first is on things to look for when considering if the one you are looking at is worth buying.

The second is mostly on use.

If the plane itself is in good condition, $60 is a good price. A decent set of blades could run you that much. If it is before a type 7, it might be a bit to consider. Before type 7 the rods threaded into the main body. If it is a type 11 or later and isn't missing the fence locking or adjusting screw, then it is a good deal if there are no breaks or repairs.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Probably is, but I'd, like others have stated, would have to see the photos.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Unless the thing is a real dog, $60 is a good price.

Harold,
    If you want a big ole you suck, buy it.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

$60 is not a bad price if it is in decent condition, especially if it has the cam depth stop. Keep in mind he probably said 60 because he wants 50.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

If I had a "do over," I'd spend my cash only for the LV small plow plane with all of its accessories. The LV is less work to learn and use, it has less parts, and it is easier or more intuitive to use. With that said, I've rehabbed one 45, complete with its original box and lots of cutters (perhaps really 55 cutters) and added another "complete" later model that is good++. Having learned how to use (somewhat) the 45 makes me appreciate it and the LV small plow. Both are great. In the end, buy right & buy once--but buy what's right for you.

I hope it is in really bad shape because I've got a 45 I would like to sell but for $60 I think I would pass on that.

You got a pretty good deal there, depending on what condition its in.

I paid $50 just for set of cutters. Think I gave $45 for the plane with one cutter. Mine is the older model with engraving.

Haven't used it a ton, but there's a bit of a learning curve make sure you read the users manual.

As a plow plane I dont' think it works as well as an old wood plow plane I have but the advantage is you can adjust the wide of the fence.

Blog Entries
    Haven't used it a ton, but there's a bit of a learning curve make sure you read the users manual.
    Yes, there is a lot of a learning curve. Don't give up. The users manual doesn't make clear how important it is to keep the edges of the cutters ever so slightly proud of the skates.

The profile of the cutters has the edges slightly beveled.

There is something in the manual that I learned the hard way a few days ago. With cutters less than 1/4" the movable skate isn't used. I was using a Record 6mm blade to cut a slot for some plywood.

Usually the blades are in good condition. I have seen some that look like the back was buffed with 60 grit abrasive.

Sharp blades are important. Just like any other plane, the thicker the shaving the more tear out and roughness of cut.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)