Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fusions M2 Installed

Cool New Fusions M2 Installed

Took all weekend to rip my cabinets/counters out, cut and rebuild to fit the M2. Just had enough time tonight to upgrade the firmware and play with some engraving. Marks plastic like a champ and I cut deep into some aluminum - although very slowly. I even marked some Stainless Steel - far better than any mark I ever got using Cermark.
    New_M2_w.jpg
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 06-29-2015 at 7:38 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Looks great Tim, congrats on the new laser!

That is a BEAUTIFUL Beast! Post some pics of your engraving efforts when you can!
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

First impressions:
    1. The noise level of the M2 is a fraction of the old Mini24.
    2. The focus is really smooth as it uses a screw system at the 4 corners.
    3. The focal length seems to be much larger than with the Mini24.
    4. No more focus plunger either, you just tell the software how thick the material is and it auto focuses using that and which table you have installed - can still be focused manually as well.
    5. When running a mixed Co2/Fiber job, it knows to auto change it's focus as each is different.

The next few evenings it'll all be about using up some scrap material to put it through a series of capability tests - wood, plastic, glass, marble, and various metals. Last night I rastered about 1/32 deep into an aluminum dog tag. Took a few very slow passed, but it can be done.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 06-29-2015 at 11:08 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

What fun.......
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

Congrats Tim! I am sure you will really like the Fiber and not having to deal with Cermark. Is the camera (or is it cameras) all setup and working? I've heard those can be finicky to setup but very handy. Next time I get a client asking me to mark some metal that I cannot mark with Cermark, I will be sure to send them to you since you are not too far away.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Thanks Mike. It has 3 cameras - 1 on the laser head and 2 on the lid. As this is a new model (March), Epilog is sending a team (3 guys) on Thursday to walk me through all of the features and to setup the camera system. I guess that's 1 guy per camera? Sorry a bit of humor there.

Yes, metal cleaning, masking, spraying Cermark, and cleanup are time consuming tasks I will mostly do away with. I am very happy with the results - even on aluminum. In some cases it has exceeded my expectations. I may try some pewter tonight.

It is so nice to listen to the radio while the laser runs - without using headphones. Also the focal length I spoke of is probably due to the 3" lens.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Nice Tim! I look forward to seeing how well this performs. My M2 arrived yesterday, but I have to wait for Civil Engineering to run 220
    for it... I wish I had the funding for the fiber package, but I'm anxious to see how the camera works.... I keep folks updated as I get mine
    installed..
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

What's the break point between 110v and 220v on these units?
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

I am getting the 120watt and that was my break point, not sure on the fiber combo.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Geraci View Post
    What's the break point between 110v and 220v on these units?
    Epilog suggests anything over 50 watt is more efficient at 220v.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Congratulations! You've worked hard for this and earned it. I look forward to seeing future posts on your test scraps. No doubt there will be quite a difference.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    . . . I even marked some Stainless Steel - far better than any mark I ever got using Cermark.
    Hi Tim - How black is the mark compared to Cermark? It is hard to tell on the pics I see on the Internet as to how dense it really is compared to Cermark. I have had the impression that the fiber lasers tend to make a mark that is more on the greyish side. What is your observation?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rumancik View Post
    Hi Tim - How black is the mark compared to Cermark? It is hard to tell on the pics I see on the Internet as to how dense it really is compared to Cermark. I have had the impression that the fiber lasers tend to make a mark that is more on the greyish side. What is your observation?
    That is actually a very complicated question.. Simple answer is yes, the fiber mark is better/blacker/crisper... on Stainless Steel. Other metals it's different. For example, it's near impossible to get a black mark on Aluminum or Pewter with a fiber.

Now the complicated answer... With Co2 you have Power, Speed and maybe DPI/PPI. With Fiber you have Power, Speed, DPI/PPI, Frequency and Focus (for some markings you HAVE to be out of focus). Now take ALL of these settings and adjust ANY of them and you will likely get a different type of marking. It's a bit overwhelming.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Camera system was installed today... boy that was painful! I know a setup document went out earlier this week, but after today look for changes. I also expect a software/firmware change as well. During the install we crashed the head - a new one should be here tomorrow. This system has multi-layer safety auto stops... however everything fell into imperfect place at the wrong time causing the head to crash into the table. As I said, I expect there will be some quick changes to both the instructions and to the software/firmware to prevent this from happening again.

This is new technology and being the guinea pig sometimes has it's costs. On the other hand I am at the cutting edge. It's not every day an Epilog tech is sitting here driving my computer and laser while on his cell phone getting help from one of Epilog's founders. Not another Support rep, but all of the way at the top.

Some of the other stuff I learned today.... well, I'll just keep that to myself for now. But I can say I am hopeful and excited to see where this technology is soon going.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC