Thread: Building my dust cyclone setup

Building my dust cyclone setup

Well I am finally able to restart building my dust system again. I am using a Jet 1900 3hp motor and impeller with a eBay cyclone. Measuring everything the 1900 inlet needs to be 96" from the floor. This puts the top of the motor/ impeller about 108". I built a 2X4 frame. Now I need to stand it up and attach it to the wall. I'm guessing around a 150 lbs for the motor and impeller. The only way I can think to do this is by mounting a winch (I have) in the rafters and using that to stand up the frame. Is there a better way to do this?
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 06-29-2015 at 8:53 AM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    The only way I can think to do this is by mounting a wench (I have) in the rafters and using ....
    Man she is NOT going to like that at all.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Man she is NOT going to like that at all.
    Darn spell check. If I had a 2000 lb wench she could just put it in place.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I had the same thing and what I did was use tie down clamp in the middle.
    When I went as far as I could I tied it to the rafter and started again.

Raising my 3HP Oliver cyclone was a similar challenge. We put a comealong in the ceiling joist and my wife cranked while I lifted and directed. It was lots of fun....but got it there.

You could always attach it to the supports on the floor, and then lever it up. The early lift is all 150 #, but as you get halfway up, the weight starts to transfer to the supports and it is just a matter of pushing it up. Still takes at least two people until you're in really awesome shape.

I will try the come along first as it may be the easiest. That should work, if not I'll try the winch. I'm not sure I can do it the way you suggested Phil. I'll have some help,on Friday to try. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't know what you have, but I built a frame for my Grizzly 3hp on the ground around the cyclone. My son, wife and I then just stood it up. Obviously that won't work if you are simply attaching it to the wall without any ground support; but I have heard that transmits horrible vibrations to the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I don't know what you have, but I built a frame for my Grizzly 3hp on the ground around the cyclone. My son, wife and I then just stood it up. Obviously that won't work if you are simply attaching it to the wall without any ground support; but I have heard that transmits horrible vibrations to the building.
    Wade, I think I am building something similar to what you have. it is a frame that will support the impeller/motor. The wall will be used for attaching to stabilize it. Vibration should be transferred to the floor. However I think I will put rubber isolation between the wall and the frame to reduce any vibration into the walls (OSB).

When I attached my cyclone to the wall, blower, I first lagged 2x4's horizontal to the existing studs, then drilled through them the diameter of heater hose. Cut heater hose to fit through the holes. Then cut some pieces of tire sidewall to put on both sides of the 2x4's and also used some huge washers that were bigger diameter than the holes in the heater hose so the bolt had something to hold onto, and put bolts through the whole mess. Used the rubber washers on both sides, so they were between the cyclone and 2x4, and on the other side as well. That way you have rubber all around the bolts. Never tried mounting the cyclone directly to the studs, so can't say how much it helped not transfer the noise through the wall, but all I hear in the shop is the roar of the air moving. The cyclone is in the storage room.

I cheated. I was ready, when the gardeners came, and three of them manhandled my 3HP Oneida up on the stand. I had already attached the cyclone to the stand, and they tilted that upright, and set the motor/impeller on top. I adjusted and bolted it all down later.

I rewarded them with a Coke, and a tip. We were all happy, and it just took them a few minutes for their part.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 06-30-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.