Thread: Just playing around with my tools..

Just playing around with my tools..

Had a set of Aldi chisels to try out, so after a few cuts with my Disston No.5 saw
    IMAG0162.jpg
    I figured I could at least chop a few of these out,
    IMAG0163.jpg
    About ready to flip over, and chop from the other side, oh, BTW...that is a mallet i turned all by myself
    IMAG0164.jpg
    Not too bad...didn't have any issues with the Aldi 3/8" chisel. It is closer to a 3/8" than a 5/16"
    IMAG0166.jpg
    Marked things out, made a few saw cuts...then more of the chisel work...tested the fit...
    IMAG0170.jpg
    I think I can deal with that....needed a back to these sides and front. Trimmed a board down to size, but I had some saw marks to get rid of
    IMAG0171.jpg
    A Stanley No.6c, type 10 did a decent enough job. Wood is curly maple. Needed a rebate at each end
    IMAG0174.jpg
    But since i don't have the "latest & greatest" from L-N, I guess I'll make do with a Stanley made-for-Wards #78.

Just playing around with some maple and oak boards, nothing exotic in my shop...
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-29-2015 at 6:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    didn't have any issues with the Aldi 3/8" chisel. It is closer to a 3/8" than a 5/16"
    We don't have those here in the Pacific Northwest of what I know.

If they are European or Asian I am wondering if the might actually be metric. My recollection is 9mm is close to 23/64".

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The beautiful thing about our hobby is like has been alluded to in my thread "Filling the Hole"-it is not what is going on, on the outside of me is why I do WW, it's what's going on inside that matters.

All the outer stuff, the tools, whether L-N, which I am fortunate enough to have some, or more bang-for-your-buck tools like Steven has shown us....none of that matters so much.

It's the journey that matters.

I have always thought it would be really cool to take estate/auction tools, rework them and all that. Those tools have a soul, a history. It is great that you met the family.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

...If they are European or Asian I am wondering if the might actually be metric. My recollection is 9mm is close to 23/64".

jtk
    Your wondering is correct. The set of 4 Aldi chisels I have are marked 8, 12, 18 and 24mm. When I measured them some were a bit narrower than marked.

8mm is very close to 5/16".

Nice work Steve. I'm still amazed that you anything done in the space you have. And where the devil do you keep all these tools? I had to measure to make sure I had space for the Aldi chisels to fit on my tool "wall" before I bought them!

-Tom
    Last edited by Tom Stenzel; 06-29-2015 at 9:05 PM.

Just using a few Aldi Chisels today, had some stopped dados to chop
    IMAG0166.jpg
    Center divider's dado in the front panel. "Kinfe in" was with a larger chisel.
    IMAG0169.jpg
    1/2" wide stopped dado for the divider that goes side to side.
    IMAG0167.jpg
    Test fits all day long. Oak 2x2 will get pencil grooves. It has a sawn notch to house the center piece, and the center piece has a notch as well.

Might need a few more clamps?

Very impressive....

Stick around Chris, glue-ups have started. Did an over-all test fit to see how this thing will look
    IMAG0176.jpg
    Have to go buy some hinges later. The one clamp is holding up the lid.
    IMAG0175.jpg
    I MIGHT need a few more clamps?

Well, glue-ups have started, some fine tunning required here and there, but
    glue-up, stage 2.jpg
    Apparently, one can use the top of an old bench as a clamping caul?
    IMAG0170.jpg
    Some Oak, mainly some curly Maple, and some Oak plywood for a bottom panel. Will try to get a lid done by this weekend,,,,

Paul Sellers is quite fond of the Aldi chisels too: https://paulsellers.com/2015/06/aldi...in-usa-stores/

Claus

Awaiting a finish...
    IMAG0182.jpg
    Might just get a coat of BLO for now...