Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Brand New Workshop is UP ! (video link added)

Quote Originally Posted by Marion Smith View Post
    Here is a time-lapse video of it going up!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E74VTZxItzs
    Loved the video
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Those boys have OBVIOUSLY played this game before! That is impressive!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Those boys have OBVIOUSLY played this game before! That is impressive!
    You are quite correct Ken! They can, and have done two a day when the locations are close enough together. They also say the preparedness of the site upon arrival has a lot to do with it too.

Here is a time-lapse video of it going up!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E74VTZxItzs
    Very neat, tilt wall construction. I understand this is how a lot of homes in Scandanavia are built and because they are factory built, they are able to have a lot more precision than on site building.

Many years ago, I purchased my shop from a company that prefabricates the walls and trusses like in the video. The building is 24 X 28 two story with a gambrel roof. The front has two individual aluminum garage doors plus a door on the side. It has a conventional poured concrete floor and foundation. The company came out a few weeks ahead of time and did the concrete work. On construction day, I was awakened at 6:00 by a truck in the back yard similar to what is in the video. I went to work at 7:30 and called my wife around 11:00 to see how things were going. She said they had already packed up and left. I was really worried about that but when I inspected the construction that evening after work, it looked exactly like the model and was built exactly to my specifications. My only complaint is that I chose T1-11 type plywood for the outside. I got tired of painting it in a few years and covered it with insulation and a good grade of vinyl.

It was asked what's going in the workshop.
    My tool list is extensive, so I'll start with the large tools that plug in.
    Delta 30A Multiplex RAS
    3 Craftsman 100 Table Saws
    2 Shopsmiths
    Atlas 6" Jointer
    Delta Homecraft Bandsaw
    Delta Homecraft Bench Drill Press
    Delta Milwaukee Floor Drill Press
    Rigid Dust Collector
    I think I got them all

That video was great! I can't believe how much they got done before lunch time!

Does the manufacturer give you a sense for how long the pressure treated skids/foundation will last given that it's sitting right on the ground? Here in the Seattle area, I would worry about eventual rot.

I didn't ask that question Peter!
    It's sitting on 4" of limestone, so it we won't be in contact with the dirt. With all the heavy rain we had prior to the build date, the site never filled with water. I will be adding gutters, so then there will be even less water to get on the stone base. I'm 56, so I'm going to make a call that I will not have to concern myself with 4x4 rot in my lifetime. I will need to REpaint it a couple times though I presume. We'll just have BYOB Paint Parties!

I did miss one thing that's going in the workshop, but its not a tool.
    I have a customized cabinet for my 70's stereo components that I'll drag out there! Then I can hang my two pairs of speakers on the walls too!

That's piling on, Marion.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My windows and shutters are in! Vinyl double hung, the screens are removable, and they tilt in for cleaning. I'm sooo pumped to get started!
    Other chores and plans to attend to for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why don't I see the pics? All I see is "attached thumbnails". Are my setting not correct? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega View Post
    Why don't I see the pics? All I see is "attached thumbnails". Are my setting not correct? Thanks
    You are OK Gilbert. I also see it as an "attached thumbnail"
    It is how the poster attached the PIC
    Click on the thumbnail and you will get the larger PIC
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

My windows and shutters are in! Vinyl double hung, the screens are removable, and they tilt in for cleaning. I'm sooo pumped to get started!
    Other chores and plans to attend to for now.
    Nice looking windows. I opted to not have any windows for security and nothing for the wood to break. Wish I had got a couple. Might install skylights instead.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

I didn't ask that question Peter!
    It's sitting on 4" of limestone, so it we won't be in contact with the dirt. With all the heavy rain we had prior to the build date, the site never filled with water. I will be adding gutters, so then there will be even less water to get on the stone base. I'm 56, so I'm going to make a call that I will not have to concern myself with 4x4 rot in my lifetime. I will need to REpaint it a couple times though I presume. We'll just have BYOB Paint Parties!
    Yeah, that makes sense- sitting up on limestone where water doesn't accumulate, plus having a roof over it probably make it just fine.