Thread: Lasers are expensive

1. Lasers are expensive

As I mentioned in another thread I've been engraving barnwood but the sanding is slowing me down. So after some research I discovered stroke sanders, something I'd never heard of until recently. So this morning I ordered a Grizzly stroke sander. But my old Pistorius dust collector never has worked very well. So I ordered an Oneida Pro 2000 5 hp setup for dust collection. Then I thought if I'm going to be serious about this barnwood stuff, I need a Powermatic 20" planer with the Byrd Shelix cutter head. Didn't get that ordered but I plan to in the next day or so. I've got to stop looking at the woodworker forums on here.

Bob
    Trotec Speedy 400 100w w/ Rotary attachment
    .................................................. .......................
    For custom framing: Pistorius double miter saw, Bienfang 4468, Inmes IM-5P underpinner, etc.
    For fun: Miller mig welder, Lincoln tig welder, Hypertherm plasma cutter.
    For photography: Phase 1 P65+, Epson 9800, Epson 7900, 3 Shinko dye subs

Bob Were gonna have to check you into Laser Rehab clinic
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Apparently you've never bought a wood lathe... Now THAT gets expensive...
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Troncalli View Post
    Apparently you've never bought a wood lathe... Now THAT gets expensive...

But nothing compared to a METAL lathe

Some glass lathes I've looked at are pretty expensive as well
    ---
    Green Hills Jewelry and Crafts
    Handmade Gifts and Treasures
    ---
    Boss Laser LS-1630 - 60 watt
    Rotary Attachments
    Inkscape - RDWorksV8 - GIMP2
    ---

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lemere View Post
    Some glass lathes I've looked at are pretty expensive as well
    Quite a few of those put my Robust American Beauty to shame... and they're often little more than a very basic metal lathe with a few flame attachments.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

What got really expensive is when I got so hooked on woodturning that I quit my real job and opened my own business... Looong story....
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Aren't they just, I took delivery of my new Trotec and realized it will have to be in an air conditioned space, $2500 later, I can now plug it in but he'll what else is money for, oh yes food, a roof....
    355 - 10400 : )

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Stewart View Post
    Aren't they just, I took delivery of my new Trotec and realized it will have to be in an air conditioned space, $2500 later, I can now plug it in but he'll what else is money for, oh yes food, a roof....
    Haha I know what you mean. I did the same thing for my first Trotec, did a built out in a commercial space, and had to add a rooftop ac unit, very expensive.
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 07-03-2015 at 12:24 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

WOW!! I am so out of my league. I am strictly a hobbiest. I imported my Laser from Nice-Cut, I didn't trust eBay, I paid as much in shipping as in the 40W laser. I have a 16x16 work space and so far minor problems. I actually paid for it by a KickStarter campaign. My plan is to engrave/mark .50 caliber machine gun casings with military logo and insignia for veterans.
    Once the machine arrived, and I started the learning curve I am discovering more options. My primary niche is turning pens from wood and acrylic.

Reading this thread let me know what real professional engravers and woodworkers are like. I wish all of you success in your business.

Roy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roy Sanders
    Knot to Pen Custom Turned Pens

Platte City, Missouri. USA

CorelDraw x 6
    CorelLaser
    LaserDrw
    Nice-Cut NC-4040 Tabletop Laser 40W

12" Craftsman Table Saw
    12" Craftsman Band Saw
    Craftsman Scroll Saws
    DeWalt Thickness Planer
    !0" Wood Lathe
    Vacuum Chamber
    Pressure Pot

Everyone started somewhere Roy Sanders best wishes to you and happy 4th. God Bless the Forces.
    355 - 10400 : )

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Sanders View Post
    WOW!! I am so out of my league. I am strictly a hobbiest. I imported my Laser from Nice-Cut, I didn't trust eBay, I paid as much in shipping as in the 40W laser. I have a 16x16 work space and so far minor problems. I actually paid for it by a KickStarter campaign. My plan is to engrave/mark .50 caliber machine gun casings with military logo and insignia for veterans.
    Once the machine arrived, and I started the learning curve I am discovering more options. My primary niche is turning pens from wood and acrylic.

Reading this thread let me know what real professional engravers and woodworkers are like. I wish all of you success in your business.

Roy
    I bought my trotec with profits from a kickstarter campaign but I had a clear business use and liked not having to farm out the work, plus I've been wanting one for years. I come from the metal machining and fabrication world so these things are cheap compared to even a baby prototrak mill or lathe I have my eyes on.
    Trotec Speedy 100 45w
    Corel Draw x4
    Adobe Photoshop CS3
    Solidworks 2014
    Owner: Cubit-cubes, Shotgun-shots
    Manufacturing Engineer & Designer

Roy

We love hobbyists on SMC. Many of us who do this as a business don't have the time to experiment or get creative with our equipment and we end up learning a lot from hobbyists who stick to something until they perfect it. Hobbyists have great ideas!

We do occasionally have a conflict when it comes to pricing our work but that's not a big issue.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7