Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Birch Vanity

Glad you think so. I play with photography and I really think the pic is pretty sub standard, plus it's a cell phone pic to boot.

As for finishing everything is made by ML Campbell. Birch is blotchy so it needs to be conditioned. I used WoodSong II stain base as a conditioner. Applied it and let it soak in. If a spot goes dry, wet it again until it stops absorbing the conditioner. Then you wait for 2 hours.

We used a stain that was a stain match from another company. Picked it off a sample at my suppliers wall. But it had a red tone to it so I tried to shift it and added a Walnut Microton Dye in a 1:1 ratio. Applied the stain and immediately rubbed it around, then let it sit for about 1 minute. While waiting you wipe off any end grain like panel bevels otherwise they'll go really dark.

Then apply a clear coat of KlearVar. Scuff sand it.

Then because it still had some of the red undertones in it I needed to shift it. The toner is just the Microton Walnut Dye, but to shift the red I added some green dye. 1 gram per 1 oz of dye. Then applied 3 box coats of the toner with a very dry mist, it flashes almost instantly. The toner was made from 18 oz of fast lacquer thinner 2 oz of finish and 2 oz of the toner mixture.

After the toner is applied I immediately followed that with a clear coat of the KlearVar conversion varnish. Satin sheen.

Blog Entries
    GREAT job Leo...... You sure can be proud of that one...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Beautiful. I would like to know the finish schedule too.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Simply gorgeous!!!!! 5 Stars for sure*****

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Beautiful. I would like to know the finish schedule too.
    He posted it above, post #16 if using linear thread views.

OK, Got a good picture of it. Man, it's not that easy to get one which it looks like it does in front of you. Sometimes the camera just doesn't see what you do.

In normal conditions it looks darker. having the bright room really shows off the color.

Great job. I especially like how you cut in the leg relief just below the cabinet. Bottom. Gives the cabinet a floating appearance.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Leo, ditto what Mike said about the leg detail. Very nice indeed. Patrick

Really outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...