Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Routing aluminum

Routing aluminum

So I've been thinking a lot about machining (mainly routing) aluminum lately. My purposes would be mostly for jig-making, and material would be no thicker than 1/4"-3/8". Just wondering about best practices for using carbide router bits on aluminum for cutting slots, and minor edge profiling like chamfers and roundovers.

As I was doing some video research, I came across this video. I plan to do it exactly like this unless I hear otherwise from you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lMQmJy2VW0

With the bushing that will certainly help minimize the chance of the cutter "digging" in. However, I think you are really flirting with danger, especially by wearing gloves, and a loose fitting one at that. Aluminum is a soft material & has a tendency to grab. That is why drill bits are "prepped" for drilling aluminum (and brass) by grinding the cutting edge to a slight flat, to prevent/minimize the drill from grabbing as it exits the hole.
    If you "have" to do it this way and although the demo produces a good result, i would rather see you fixture up the process by having a couple of steel dowels inserted in a horizontal plate, position the router fence for smaller incremental cuts (not all at once) & bear the aluminum ring against the dowels while rotating into the router bit. Reposition for the hole with the router bit inside the hole.

Where to even begin with that video...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    I just got chills watching that, and I noticed afterwards my fingers had curled into a fist in anticipation of a catch...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Visit Pat Warner's site. He mills aluminum frequently and sometimes posts here. You could PM him.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Victor

You can work aluminum with a router. I can't say that I recommend to do it like that video though. At least make one of the variables fixed. Either clamp the work piece down, or secure the router. That's all I'll say about the video.
    A speed controller can be used on a router without a soft start, which allows you to control bit speed. Something to consider when working with aluminum or other soft metals.
    There are some milling machine bits that can for into a router. I have a few of the more basic types for soft metals, and they work okay. When I've use them, I dropped the speed way down on the router. ( I have an ancient craftsman router that I use. )

I've only used a router on metal a few times. Which is why I've been looking at some of the smaller bench top mini milling machines to do specifically what you want to do. That is, make small jigs and fixtures for wood working.
    The mini mills are probably all but worthless to a real machinist, but to make soft metal jigs and fixtures for woodworking, they look okay. There are also a few websites dedicated to "souping them up" and provide aftermarket parts and upgrades to them to make them more reliable.
    Me personally, I'd rather have the tool that is supposed to perform the function, if I can.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

"I just got chills watching that, and I noticed afterwards my fingers had curled into a fist in anticipation of a catch..."
    In total agreement with that.

Eyyyyyeuuuw! I wouldn't ever want to rout wood that way, never mind aluminium. If the bit bites it won't even register in his awareness until well after it's cut a chamfer through his finger(s) - gloves, nail, bone, everything. Next moment he'll be looking at a pool of blood on the floor and feeling faint. That's if he's lucky enough that the glove doesn't get wrapped up in the router and really do a job on his fingers. A circular part is nearly the worst of all because it's so hard to get a grip on/prevent it rotating, and your fingers are right in the line of cut if that happens.

A router will in certain circumstances cut aluminium, but it's for safety reasons way outside the recommendations of just about any equipment manufacturer and very much at the users own risk. I'm not even going to describe a possible set up out of concern that it might be read as advice….
    Last edited by ian maybury; 06-30-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Where to even begin with that video...
    I got 30 seconds into it and had to close the link. That just might be the most unsafe thing I have ever seen anyone do. When I first saw it I thought there was no way the router could be turned on but it appears to be.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

This guy's cat is smarter than he is, in the video. What a dumb thing to do.

Death wish!!!!
    Just shows ta go ya that there are stupid people everywhere. He'll probably want to sue the router manufacturer when he gets his hands chewed off.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    The first video was just plain stupid unsafe in so many ways. Maybe using a router table and with the ring secured in a jig while using body and face protection. The second video was OK presuming the router was secured to the table.
    NOW you tell me...

As others have said that video is impressively unsafe.

That being said you could use a router on aluminum without it being to big an issue if you can slow the router down significantly, an rigidly hold the parts involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    I plan to do it exactly like this unless I hear otherwise from you guys.
    Yeah, don't do that!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll