Thread: What is "Crackling effect" of Titebond Liquid Hide Glue?

What is "Crackling effect" of Titebond Liquid Hide Glue?

I have heard a lot about hide glue and how to prepare /use but never experimented with it but now I see Titebond is selling the liquid version and want to know your opinion of it, also what crackling effect is TB talking about? is it the same effect as the distressed look?

. It requires no mixing, heating or stirring. Professional woodworkers use Titebond Liquid Hide for its long assembly time, exceptional strength and unique crackling effect on wood.
    http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx...4-c47daa20f8ed

Google crackle finish.

I use traditional hide glue; mixed with water, heated in a glue pot. The setup time is quick, but depending on the glue-up it's not always a problem. Cracking can be achieved by using hide glue under paint; like latex. The glue absorbs the water in the paint, and when that happens the glue expands and causes the paint to crack (aka crackle) because it's had its moisture wrung out. It's one technique for antiquing.

Titebond has more about this: http://www.titebond.com/news_article...g_Process.aspx

Thanks Jeff,I have done that crackling effect on picture frames before but I used a special crackling compound , didn't know you could do that with hide glue.
    Rick, thanks,that was very helpful.

I've never "crackled" before but I always thought you did it with regular titebond II glue no?

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    I use traditional hide glue; mixed with water, heated in a glue pot. The setup time is quick, but depending on the glue-up it's not always a problem. Cracking can be achieved by using hide glue under paint; like latex. The glue absorbs the water in the paint, and when that happens the glue expands and causes the paint to crack (aka crackle) because it's had its moisture wrung out. It's one technique for antiquing.

Titebond has more about this: http://www.titebond.com/news_article...g_Process.aspx
    The link isn't working for me. But one correction anyway, hide glue contracts as it dries. I've used it to make glue chipped glass for restoration projects. Spread thin layer on a glass panel, place in sun and the glue will pull off a microscopic top layer. Beautiful effect.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Titebond's site must be down. No titebond link works for me (now). If I can get the link to work I'll post the entire contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    I've never "crackled" before but I always thought you did it with regular titebond II glue no?

Red
    I've seen a few youtube videos on crackling technique using regular wood glue ,it seems to work just as good as the actual "crackling liquid" that I'm familiar with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    Titebond's site must be down. No titebond link works for me (now). If I can get the link to work I'll post the entire contents.
    Just look at Google's cached version of the page...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

That effect has been used on plate glass to demonstrate the strong adhesion of hide glue-when it dries, and contracts, it can crackle the glass.

Read it; never seen it.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)