Thread: Upgraded to an Epilog M2 32 Fusion 120watts, ready to upgrade computers too

Upgraded to an Epilog M2 32 Fusion 120watts, ready to upgrade computers too

Greetings all,

My laser was delivered yesterday. It will be a bit before I can install it as I have to wait on Civil Engineering to run the power...

In the meantime I'm putting in to have my workstations upgraded too. Right now I have 4, older HP 32 bit Win 7 computers.
    I want to replace these and 4-24" monitors. It's been ages since I researched computers/monitors and looking for input.

I know I want to go 64 bit, lots of speed and memory...

It appears all my equipment will run on Win 8, which is good!

I understand if this needs to be deleted as it's only indirectly related to lasers and engraving.

Any and all help will be appreciated!

Thanks all!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

At the end of July, Win 10 comes out and it is much better than Win 8. Personally, I would wait just a bit, and go straight to Win 10. (However, the upgrade from 7 or 8 to 10 is free, and may well be semi-automatic via download from Microsoft.) And yes, going to 64 bit makes sense, but don't expect a huge difference in performance. Usually, the single biggest performance difference these days comes from using a sold state drive (SSD) in place of the old mechanical drives with spinning platters.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    ...However, the upgrade from 7 or 8 to 10 is free...
    Free is a relative term... free only until the following year when you have to start paying rent to use it. However that's a debate for another thread, that I'll try to avoid.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 06-30-2015 at 2:43 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Try upgrading your current comp with a good ssd. You'll get a huge speed boost for a minimal cost. You can also upgrade your ram and windows to 64 bit without spending a fortune.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

Tim

I believe your information is inaccurate. MS will offer Win 10 upgrades free for Win 7 and 8/8.1 users for one year. After that free period is over they will have to purchase the upgrade at the usual upgrade price if they didn't get the free upgrade. There will be no "rental" or subscription plan.

Marty

Save the taxpayers some money and upgrade rather than replace. If your 24 inch monitors are still working why replace them?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

A Lenovo Thinkserver TS140 comes with a dual-core i3 processor, 4gb of ECC memory, no hard drive and no operating system for about $300. The quad-core version is another $100. Grab another 8GB stick of ECC and a Samsung SSD for an additional $200 and you're set on hardware. It's workstation chipset/processor for a desktop price. I'm not sure what you'd want to do about software since Microsoft is changing their payment scheme next month. Personally, I'm going to stick with Windows 7 for another year, at least.
    Last edited by Re Wood; 06-30-2015 at 3:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    ...I believe your information is inaccurate. MS will offer Win 10 upgrades free for Win 7 and 8/8.1 users for one year. After that free period is over they will have to purchase the upgrade at the usual upgrade price if they didn't get the free upgrade. There will be no "rental" or subscription plan....
    In a year or two, we will see, but I'm 99% sure that 10 will evolve to a rental platform. The other 1% is for a zombie apocalypse.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 06-30-2015 at 3:46 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Win 8 is horrendous and it will slow down your staff's productivity. It's so different than what people are used to they cannot figure out how to navigate it efficiently. Go windows 7 or wait for windows 10.

HP IPS 27" is our preferred monitor. Staff literally fights over who gets the 27" HPs when a new person comes in/leaves. We have multiple of those, the 23" and the 20" all in the HP line. Incredible monitors, I'd highly recommend them.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Tim

I believe your information is inaccurate. MS will offer Win 10 upgrades free for Win 7 and 8/8.1 users for one year. After that free period is over they will have to purchase the upgrade at the usual upgrade price if they didn't get the free upgrade. There will be no "rental" or subscription plan.

Marty

Save the taxpayers some money and upgrade rather than replace. If your 24 inch monitors are still working why replace them?

Howdy Mike hope all is well....

My computers are about 6 years old and have been giving me issues... Basic computers not graphics oriented... they are 32 bit and things like PS now
    now require a subscription and 64 bit.

In the last year 3 monitors shot craps (all Samsung) I'm using older 17" ones and that's hard on productivity...

Thanks for the update on MS... I'll have to check with the powers that be on that, we may have that on a contract.

We're getting there....
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Marty

I must have misunderstood your situation. I thought you had 24" monitors.

I've been using a 24" for 3 or 4 years and love it.

All's well on this side of the river.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7