Thread: Furniture, forge or toolmaking tours in and around Lancaster, PA ?

Furniture, forge or toolmaking tours in and around Lancaster, PA ?

My parental units are taking my 7 year old niece to DC for the fireworks and museums this 4th.
    They will also be spending four days in the Lancaster area at a farm stay.
    My poor father is really not interested in farm animals or their care.
    He's been an avid furniture maker since his mid 20s, and I know a good Q&A tour would be a nice change from the animals.
    If this was during football season, with a nearby pub, there would be no issue.

A Google search brings up George's Furniture along with a few others?

Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciate.

* He hemmed and hawed when I dragged him to the Manning humidor business for a private tour during our visit to Ireland. (This was right before the Ashton acquisition).
    He later admitted the Manning tour was the best part of our three week adventure around the island
    Redheads are like other women – only more so

Perhaps you would all enjoy a day at the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors museum in nearby Columbia, PA where you will see some wonderful wood clock cases on clocks made over several centuries. There is a website www.NAWCC.org that can add info about hours, exact location address. They also have features for children. They also have some machinery on exhibit, like a rose turning machine. I have visited twice was impressed.
    Enrico

While not an active forge, Hopewell Furnace in Elverson is about an hour away from Lancaster. They do give tours. http://www.nps.gov/hofu/index.htm Right next to French Creek State Park. Not woodworking but Longwood Gardens and Winterthur are also within an hour's drive as well. Worth seeing. www.longwoodgardens.org www.winterthur.org

You are close enough to get to Winterthur for the finest collection of furniture in the country.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Thank you so much for the info and links gentlemen.
    I'll be passing everything listed onto my folks.
    I'm a little jealous I will not be attending. That clock tour sound very interesting.
    Redheads are like other women – only more so