Thread: 3M PPS System...Anybody Use It?

3M PPS System...Anybody Use It?

Just wondering if anyone uses this system. I'm trying to decide if it's a waste of money for the hobbyist or if it could be beneficial in some way. It seems convenient and simple enough to use and sure could save some time, however the cost is quite high, so I'd like to hear from those who have it or have tried it. Thanks.

I haven't bought the PPS system but this post made me check prices. For my system, it would be $25 for the adapter and $40 for a mini pressure cup. The mini liners are $85 for 50 liners. Total is $150. These are all Amazon prices. You can save your finish in the liner with a cap. You can also refill the cups if you are spraying a lot. I would not refill after a week or so after the first use. So $65 to get started, and $1.60 per week for liners, I don't think it is too much for the convenience. I may hit the Buy button on the Amazon cart.

TW

I used to use it. Cleanup and changeover is super fast. I found a nasal rinse bottle at Walgreens that worked great to squirt water into the gun through the adapter for cleanup. The liners, if you are using WB finishes can be rinsed and reused several times. If you are using solvent based finishes, you need much less solvent for cleanup since you can toss the liner. I was able to store finishes in the liners for months since all the air could be purged out. Another benefit for a siphon gun is you can spray at any angle due to the way they pressurize between the cup and liner.

I used them for awhile but now I have a remote cup and have sold the gun I use them with. Overall it's a neat system but I didn't buy it for ease of cleanup or storage of leftover finish, gravity guns are a cinch to clean and I hate suction guns. The main attraction for me was the 'alleged' ability to evacuate the air and spray at all angles. What I found was, at least with the medium size pps cup and a gravity gun, when the finish was about half used up the resistance to the crush of the cup affected the flow of finish. Some people suggested letting some air into the cup but as far as I am concerned that defeated the main purpose for which I wanted to use them.

My opinion, save your money for something more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post
    I used them for awhile but now I have a remote cup and have sold the gun I use them with. Overall it's a neat system but I didn't buy it for ease of cleanup or storage of leftover finish, gravity guns are a cinch to clean and I hate suction guns. The main attraction for me was the 'alleged' ability to evacuate the air and spray at all angles. What I found was, at least with the medium size pps cup and a gravity gun, when the finish was about half used up the resistance to the crush of the cup affected the flow of finish. Some people suggested letting some air into the cup but as far as I am concerned that defeated the main purpose for which I wanted to use them.

My opinion, save your money for something more useful.
    Good point! I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

If you have a pressurized cup, this is probably not a problem.

Find them consistent and simple and easy to use, twist them off and leave the finish in the cup and put the plastic plug in. I just used them on Zinzer 123 and then Ben Moore exterior both thinned a bit more than advised to spray through a Porter Cable HVLP gravity with 2.2 tip. I filter that material with front door screen and take the filter out of the cup lid as its going to clog with thicker material like this.

If you are going to use a fair bit your 3M salesman may give you the adapter cant speak for them but they make the money on the cups. Told the Sata ones work better but havent tried them. I prefer pressure pots to anything but this is the next best thing and better for small quantities. Those type of systems are in most of the auto body shops, one close to me had them for all their Satas even the touch up guns and they just used the 3M ones.