Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobs in woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    I know of a web site where professional cabinet makers, furniture makers, finishers hang out and thet have a job board on that site that may be a good place to check out. But, I don't know if I'm allowed to name that web site.

Richard....the TOSs only say that you CANNOT LINK to another forum. You certainly can mention it. While I remove a lot of links to OWWM, for example, I often advise people to go there if they are looking for information on an older woodworking machine.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    ...you CANNOT LINK to another forum.
    This is a head-scratcher.

I would like to add a little more to Yonek's post based on my own experience. If you feel comfortable with computers and automated equipment, you might want to consider buying a commercial strength CNC router. I am mostly retired and want to stay that way but I have come across a number of opportunities to combine woodworking, artistic and/or mechanical design skills to manufacture things on a commercial basis. If you look at the field right now, you will find a lot of people who know how to carve things with software but have no clue as to how to prepare raw materials, use any other type of woodworking equipment or finish the end product. They struggle with some of the simplest things. I think there are opportunities for CNC router users who have a strong woodworking background. This is just something to think about and dig into if it sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    John, if you want to work for yourself, in your own shop, you aren't so high brow that you won't do repetitive piecework, and you don't expect to make a killing, you might do what I found a niche for : manufacturing of consumables and component parts. They're easy to find. Just look around. Everything that's made out of wood has to be made by somebody. Oftentimes these kinds of things are made in China but, if you find the right product and the right market you can out-maneuver the Chinese with quality, response time, flexibility and locally-made.

Even though I'm not making fine furniture for a living (I save my "fun stuff", my furniture-making for the weekends, like lots of other people), I'm working with wood, setting my own hours and my commute is 16 steps down to my shop. I've been doing this for 14 years and it's worked out great for me. Good luck with whatever you choose to pursue.

Blog Entries
    There's a lot of fairy tale talking here. Sounds good but isn't practical. I searched for an apprentice for 1.5 years. Good pay. But nothing came of it. Those who have the skills are generally taken care of by the company. Those who don't have the shills generally end up in a cabinet shop. Others have the skills but are always looking to start there own company.

Which way should Dorthy go?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you want to discuss the subject of links to other forums at SMC, I suggest you start a thread about that topic in the Off Topic forum. I am going to delete your comments and mine in this thread because we are at the point of hijacking it and taking it away from it's original topic.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    There's a lot of fairy tale talking here. Sounds good but isn't practical. I searched for an apprentice for 1.5 years. Good pay. But nothing came of it. Those who have the skills are generally taken care of by the company. Those who don't have the shills generally end up in a cabinet shop. Others have the skills but are always looking to start there own company.

Which way should Dorthy go?
    Jack,

Are you suggesting because you didn't experience or see it, it didn't happen or doesn't exist and therefore anybody who experienced something different is telling fairy tales?

Come on Man!

So if I had never been to Odessa, Missouri, it doesn't exist and you are telling fairy tales about your location? Or if I had never been to Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska or Missouri and saw the miles of corn and soy beans, those fields don't exist and anybody who says they do is telling a fairy tale?

Come on Man!

Our local economy is primarily dependent on agriculture and timber products. We didn't experience the recent recession for a couple years after the rest of the country began experiencing it. Things can vary dramatically based on locale.
    Ken

Thanks again for all the input folks. As for using my own shop I fear I can not expect to do this year round. My shop is in an 18th century barn and the heating is by three kerosene heaters which take about three hours hours to bring it to 50° in the winter. I've never been real good at repitition but if someone could promise it to be steady work, unaffected by the economy I might give it a go.
    I misled as I think I implied I could still do woodworking in the workplace. I have come to the realization that unless I find some miracle cure for my body's problems it might be pretty hard to put in an eight hour day as a woodworker. I hope, by asking the question I did in my OP that I might find a position as an instructor or administrator of a facility that uses a shop. Mainly trying to get as much information as possible in the hope that something clicks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Jack,

Are you suggesting because you didn't experience or see it, it didn't happen or doesn't exist and therefore anybody who experienced something different is telling fairy tales?

Come on Man!

So if I had never been to Odessa, Missouri, it doesn't exist and you are telling fairy tales about your location? Or if I had never been to Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska or Missouri and saw the miles of corn and soy beans, those fields don't exist and anybody who says they do is telling a fairy tale?

Come on Man!

Our local economy is primarily dependent on agriculture and timber products. We didn't experience the recent recession for a couple years after the rest of the country began experiencing it. Things can vary dramatically based on locale.
    No you come on...Be realistic. A very small percentage make a living as a professional working for themselves. You know it, I know it so stop the sugar coating.

Ken, I won't be starting a thread on this because you already well know my opinion and because your opinion, as moderator, is the only one that matters. I believe this is one of the best woodworking sites around. This is my go-to place if I have a woodworking question because I always know I will get accurate, thoughtful answers here. Thank you for providing a place where hobbyists and professionals alike can share knowledge and experiences.

No you come on...Be realistic. A very small percentage make a living as a professional working for themselves. You know it, I know it so stop the sugar coating.
    Jack-

Not to sidetrack but can you tell me what a good wage for an apprentice is in your area. I was one many years ago and I often look at the job postings on craigslist are for positions in woodworking and am amazed at how little people pay. Thanks.
    John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    Jack-

Not to sidetrack but can you tell me what a good wage for an apprentice is in your area. I was one many years ago and I often look at the job postings on craigslist are for positions in woodworking and am amazed at how little people pay. Thanks.
    John
    Last year when I needed help we offered $16-18 for qualified apprentice. One was suppose to show up but never did. We in housed and I have two ex solid surface and one ex cabinet/remodeler working with me...

Blog Entries
    I will mention this....Being a custom furniture builder/maker isn't the only thing going out there. Here is kansas city there are many who have custom furniture shops either with a store front or a shop at their home. Most are loners and don't require a helper. There are also businesses that make other things besides furniture like recreated museum, library pieces, windows or moldings. All these things can require a specialized skill. Some shops you can easily find by doing a general search, yet some require an extensive search and time to find on the internet in your area..

Last year when I needed help we offered $16-18 for qualified apprentice. One was suppose to show up but never did. We in housed and I have two ex solid surface and one ex cabinet/remodeler working with me...
    Will you pay to move me out there?

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    Will you pay to move me out there?
    Are you kidding me ? He's willing to pay $16 ~ $18 per hour to an apprentice and you want him to pay your moving expenses ?? Buck up and pay your own way if you want a job.

This is so indicative of seeming prevailing attitudes these days.

Blog Entries
    I've never seen it but somebody might pay to move the right person if that's what it takes.

Here's an odd one in Nashville....http://nashville.craigslist.org/trd/5103494944.html