Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tasks you Detest

Tasks you Detest

So today I am digging a ditch from the house to the greenhouse so that there is water in the greenhouse. It's at a depth of 36" to prevent freezing and goes down a steep hill which must be hand dug in rocky soil. The neighbor said something about how bad the task must be and I responded, "at least I'm not painting." Good at painting but detest it even more than hand-digging ditches. What is your task you hate?

a really good motivator for me is knowning what I am saving by doing such work as you mentioned you are doing. Another is knowing what kind of job I will have when I get finished too. The FEW times I have had someone else do things for me has more often than not ended up with me having to redo part or all of their work. I have lost faith in getting a job well done from most everyone other than myself. I expect a job well done. So I get it by doing myself.

Personally I dislike finishing sheetrock. I get a good job eventually - but it seems I like to sand the joint compound too much so I can put it back on at least once more than needed. Working on a mobile home now. It's been a big job. Had ALL the metal siding off replacing rotten flooring, floor sheathing UNDER the exterior wall most of way around it. I like one interior kitchen wall (have to remove wall and base cabinets) and a small bathroom havine torn out ALL walls. Replaced exterior walls (16x76) feet with mold guard sheetrock.
    I like about fifteen sheets I think having torn out and replaced ever piece of it. 90 sheets I think all together. So I am getting a LOT of practice at it again.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Ditch digging would have to be the worst for me. I'm not in great shape and my yard is where rocks come to spawn and die. I'll take painting over digging any day.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Gee, there are so very many things I would rather not do.

Painting, yard work, traveling, having to go to dinner (did that last evening for work), late meetings for work,

Operative word *detest*?

Cleaning up cat puke. Cleaning out the trash bin when it is full of rotten stinking filth. Unclogging the shower drain from hair. Unclogging downspout drainlines in the yard. Like last summer I pulled out, by hand, a partially decomposed small mammal-squirrel, chipmunk or something like it.

I got it......running to the hdwe store in the middle of shop time to get a small item that I could have gotten earlier. That is why we have lots of spare everything, right?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I do not detest doing anything. I find myself sometimes putting things off but when I just do them I actually enjoy the work. Growing up we fixed our own cars, built a house, shot guns, raised 2 acres of strawberries, a wide variety. I think that makes a difference. And we ate sand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Like last summer I pulled out, by hand, a partially decomposed small mammal-squirrel, chipmunk or something like it.
    Did that 2 weeks ago. Nasty. Had to take the downspout apart to get at it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I guess I would define "detest" as something I could do, but pay to have it done. In a word, plumbing.

Two of mine are drywall work and painting. I don't mind hanging drywall but I don't like finishing it. If I can spray, I'm okay with painting but brush or roller is not something I enjoy.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

As a woodworker who does a lot of surface planing, I despise having to dump the dust collector bin. I dump in the woods behind the house and it is a messy job. Unfortunately, I don't see any way around it.

I am an RN. You don't want to hear about the things I detest!

In a way I with the others, though it all starts earlier for me. I don't like buying sheetrock because it is just the first step in a long litany of things I detest. Once you buy it, you have to load, then unload it, take it downstairs, or upstairs, or wherever. Then you measure it, cut it, hang it, and then the real nastiness starts. The repeated courses of mudding it, sanding it (with all the grit in your eyes, your hair, etc.).

The worst part is that after spending all that time, you get to what? Yup, paint it. Painting is the next worst thing to rocking. And once you are all done, can you rest? No, because you sit there and see all the little bubbles, the sanding marks, the lines, the shading from high or low spots. There is little that is worse. About the only thing I can think is changing your own oil, but don't get me started on that ugly little chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    I am an RN. You don't want to hear about the things I detest!
    Jerry wins.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    So today I am digging a ditch from the house to the greenhouse so that there is water in the greenhouse. It's at a depth of 36" to prevent freezing and goes down a steep hill which must be hand dug in rocky soil. The neighbor said something about how bad the task must be and I responded, "at least I'm not painting." Good at painting but detest it even more than hand-digging ditches. What is your task you hate?
    I dug a trench last summer, about 30" deep and 20 feet long. I actually enjoyed it, but I wouldn't want to do it for a living. I don't what it is about me, but I actually like digging holes, especially large ones. I detest mowing the lawn though and generally all things "lawn". I do love to plant though. I too have a greenhouse and I'm going to have to replace some of the glass this weekend. I'm NOT looking forward to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I guess I would define "detest" as something I could do, but pay to have it done. In a word, plumbing.
    Exactly...
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    As a woodworker who does a lot of surface planing, I despise having to dump the dust collector bin. I dump in the woods behind the house and it is a messy job. Unfortunately, I don't see any way around it.

Where is deep South?

Thats why I devised a system to make it easier, to dump/bag, etc.
    David