Thread: Unisaw arbor spinning when removing blade

Unisaw arbor spinning when removing blade

Hi I have about 25 Year old Unisaw (34-802). When I go to remove the blade Off the arbor, the arbor spins a little bit along with the nut and the blade will not come off. It then kind of "catches" and the nut spins off. I don't really notice any movement when I'm installing a blade. Is this something I should be concerned about going forward?
    Thanks for the help

My Unisaw has a wrench that holds the blade from spinning while I use another wrench to take the nut off. Do you have that wrench to hold the arbor from turning?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    My Unisaw has a wrench that holds the blade from spinning while I use another wrench to take the nut off. Do you have that wrench to hold the arbor from turning?
    Hi Jim. No I don't. Have simply been shoving a block of wood under the blade to keep the blade from moving. Just have one wrench for the nut itself

Maybe the blade is spinning on the arbor when you turn the nut.

If you have a flat on the backside, use a wrench back there too. That should solve it

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Maybe the blade is spinning on the arbor when you turn the nut.

If you have a flat on the backside, use a wrench back there too. That should solve it
    Awesome. Thanks much

To clarify: the Unisaw has no arbor lock. The only thing that keeps it from turning is the resistance of the motor and belts. As soon as the nut loosens a bit, the blade no longer provides enough friction to prevent the arbor from turning if the nut is stiff (e.g. if the arbor threads or nut are a bit damaged). As others have written, there is normally a thin wrench to grab the arbor on the side opposite the nut.

Clean the arbor threads. Any crud will cause this. The nut should spin on and off.

Dan

On my saw behind the flange on the arbour there are to flats which a thin wrench fits to hold the arbour in place.

Greg