Thread: Drunken Cutting Board

Drunken Cutting Board

*Drunken Cutting Boards*

This is my first cutting board. An interesting pattern emerges from the flowing "S" shape and works really well with the high contrast of maple and walnut.

YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/v/GCZtB8qLydY

*Taking Stock Of Your Stock*

The process begins with two board that are the same thickness. In this case my lumber was 7/8 of an inch thick. I used Maple and Walnut because they are easily available to me and they contrast well with each other.

*Dimension The Lumber*

I then rip each board to 9" and crosscut to 14". Both boards being the same dimensions is key to this project turning out.

*Double Stick Tape*

The two boards are joined with double stick tape and taken over to the band saw. Double stick tape is a shop staple for me. I use this stuff for everything!

*The First Of A Series Of S Cuts*

I just cut an "S" shape at the band saw and repeated the process 5 times. I tried to make them similar but not precise. A free form cut is sorta of what gives this project it's charm! Who ever heard of drunken precision?

*Cleanup*

There were some tool marks from the band saw, I lightly sanded them off at the drum sander. What you don't want to do is change the shape of the curve and ruin the mating of the two pieces.

*Alternate The Pieces*

Next, you can alternate each piece and glue up the boards with a cool wavy look. The original design called for 1/8 cherry strips between the waves (you can see them in the picture). That didn't work out well for me.
    No, I don't want to talk about it...

*Glue Up #1*

Alternate the pieces, add glue and apply clamping pressure. I ended up going with a couple of pipe clamps, but that was after a few false starts. I don't have a picture because I was in full panic mode at that point.

One one of the reasons this project takes so long is that there are 3 separate glue ups. Otherwise it's pretty simple.

*MOAR DOUBLE STICK TAPE!*

After the glue dries pass each board through the planer and get two parallel surfaces for joining together again with double stick tape.

*A Second Series Of S Cut*

This time I swapped out blades in my band saw in hopes of making the process better. It wasn't a grand idea and I should have stuck with the first blade (3/16 4tpi skip tooth blade) Look at those burn marks. LOOK AT THEM!

*Glue Up #2*

Now, we alternate the boards again and glue up for a second time. Once dried you can sand them flat or use your thickness sander. I used the planer, but it can chip out some of the cross grain. Oh I need a thickness sander in the shop!

*Who's Getting Tired Of Glue Ups?!*

Now we glue up for a THIRD time. This makes for a nice heavy cutting board about 1 1/2" thick. Of course this is not required. You could just add some rubber feet and end up with two great looking cutting boards.

That was my original plan, but I decided it needed more weight to it.

*Sanding & Handholds*

I routed two hand holds with a 1/2 rabbeting bit and rounded the corners on the disk sander. Then it's on to the sanding. I sanded to 220 grit. Take your time and get the surface nice and smooth!

*Finish*

I used mineral oil. Which is both extremely cheap and easy. Much like myself...

*The Original Post In 2009*
    I made a few changes from the original, but I would be remiss not to link to the post were I first saw this project back in
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-30-2015 at 8:46 PM. Reason: Removed forum link per TOS.

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing your method. The effect makes the cutting board look 3-d. Really great. Filed for future ref. Thx.

Really striking " OP art" from an artful op. Reminds me of the fun we used to have holding chess boards up to Fun House Mirrors! Most whimsical and pleasing.

Great looking piece. And thanks for the tutorial.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That is really cool, but I hate you for making it look so esay,thanks for sharing nicest cutting board Ive seen in a long time.

Blog Entries
    Cool board and a great show-and-tell. Thanks for taking the time for the tutorial.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That is really cool! Thanks for the tutorial.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Really striking " OP art" from an artful op. Reminds me of the fun we used to have holding chess boards up to Fun House Mirrors! Most whimsical and pleasing.
    I can totally see that!! I should have added a couple more squares and we could have played drunken chess!

Fantastic job! Great tutorial as well!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

What a fun project. Thanks for sharing this.

WOW! Incredibly nice & such an interesting project. I'm printing this one for a future project, but will probably go thicker initial to yield two boads.
    Well done indeed!

Pretty cool looking cutting board, thanks for sharing..

13. Very cool project-love the look of it. At some point I would like to tackle this. Very unique! Nicely done-thanks for sharing it and the unusual process. Trying to think of other ways to use this technique-would take a while, but would make a one of a kind bed headboard!