Thread: My granddaughter wants a desk

My granddaughter wants a desk

She is 8 years old. I keep thinking I should build it about table top height, so she can use it as she grows up. Hate to make something she will outgrow. If I don't get around to it right away, she may be too big for it before I get it finished. How tall should I build the top? She wants a stack of drawers on one side. Any thoughts?

I would make it standard desk height--28-30 in. partly for the reason you state but also to get useful drawers. If you make it shorter, the drawer depths will need to be adjusted accordingly. If she's too short to use it with a standard chair now, get a Stokke Tripp Trapp adjustable chair or make something similar.

I suggest 28 inches ,that's the height of lots of antique tables used daily by adults. And I would also make it a couple of inches less in depth than modern desks. That would be just small enough to make it more feminine and not so business office like ,but big enough to be used all her life.

I built this single ped desk for a Grandson when he was about 6 or 7 and is now 12. If you would like more info, I'll provide what you ask for. http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/o...LeftEnd-50.jpg There are a couple of other views at Photo Bucket. The top is 29" off the floor and the feet have adjustable levelers that will add an inch. Yes, those are real 12Ga. shell casings imbedded. The drawers are suspended on 20" 100 pound BB slides. The bow in the top was corrected before delivery. That bow was the result of finishing only one side and letting it dry, IIRC. It pulled right out.
    Last edited by Fred Heenie; 07-01-2015 at 6:34 AM.

Just throwing this out there as an idea to think about, but have you considered a wall hung desk. As she grows it can be moved up the wall to accommodate her height. I am considering something like this for my daughter who is 3 now but loves to write, draw, and do puzzles but hates having to pick up her stuff from the coffee or dining tables.

Blog Entries
    I would make it the correct height for an adult. She will grow and if you do a nice job, she will likely keep it the rest of her life. I made a desk for my daughter when she was about that age and even though it isn't "Fine Woodworking" she still has it. I also made a desk for my granddaughter that you can see here.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'll throw in my .02 from an ergonomic point of view...never too early to encourage good sitting posture. Shoulder to elbow should hang straight down. Elbow should be at 90 degrees with hands on keyboard or desk top. At an adult height desk top the chair would need to be raised and likely slid all the way up close to the desk top so she is not reaching beyond 90 degrees. Front pencil drawers typically get in the way.
    When I set up an ergonomic work station, I usually need to remove the front pencil drawer, even for an adult. Point is, you may want to keep that out of the plans.