Thread: I need some help for a new jig

I need some help for a new jig

I am working on a project where I need the edge of a 2x cut at an angel of 52 degrees. I want to make the cut on my table saw, but my saw will only go to 45 degrees. My thoughts are to build a cradle, for lack of a better word, because it will be safer. The blade will stay at 90 degrees and the 2X will be tilted. I will use 1/2 inch ply for the bottom and the side of the cradle which will ride against the fence. I will cut triangular blocks which will be attached to the bottom and the side of the jig and the wood will lay on these blocks. If I make the jig longer than the wood then I can attach clamps to hold the wood in place. I am trying to figure out what angle I need for the blocks if the hypotenuse of the triangle is 52 degrees. I know one of you guys can figure this out quicker than it took me to peck out this whole paragraph. Any help would be much appreciated.

Complement of 52 degrees is 38 degrees

52 Degree cut.JPG

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Sznajdruk; 07-01-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelin

Tilt your blade to 38º, keep your miter gauge at 90º and cut. No jig necessary.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Sounds like backing for crown molding? You can roll the board 90 degrees and set the blade angle at 38--registering off the fence rather than the table. Temporarily attach a support piece to keep some material on the table after the cut

crown backing 7-1-15.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Sounds like backing for crown molding? You can roll the board 90 degrees and set the blade angle at 38--registering off the fence rather than the table. Temporarily attach a support piece to keep some material on the table after the cut

crown backing 7-1-15.jpg
    Locate a high feather board behind the blade to hold the piece against the fence. Be sure not to put pressure on waste piece behind the blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute