Thread: Mesquite Wood Score; Need Some Advice On The Best Way To Cut For Bowls

Question Mesquite Wood Score; Need Some Advice On The Best Way To Cut For Bowls

Monsoon season is here and my 1st true year past of turning. Was on the lookout for downed trees after a storm. Just happen a 50 year old Mesquite was taken down last weekend in a Micro-Burst. (it is sad such a beautiful tree ended life this way).

This one was less than a block from my house. I talked with the home owner and told him I was a Wood Turner and would like some pieces for Bowls and such. He said just mark what I wanted and the Tree Service would cut and pile up for me the next day.

I got my spray paint out and marked everything I thought I could move by myself. There were a few Forks and other nice pieces, one good sized Burl that got lost in translation...

I stopped in the next morning when I heard the saws and chippers running. Home Owner said come back in 2 hours and the wood would be ready. Sooooo, I am sitting at the house about an hour and a half later and the doorbell rings. The Home Owner was there with another guy and his trailer was loaded up with wood. He backed it into my driveway and Dumped the load. Gave him $40.00 and a big Thanks, nice guy! I am going to turn a bowl for him as a memorial to his tree also.

I know some of this will be firewood but that is okay as we burn Mesquite all the time.

I know it may be a little hard but if someone could advise me on the best way to cut up for some nice Bowls. Any tips willbe appreciated.

Alan I have some still I got last year after a microburst took out a few trees in my neighborhood. Picture #3 and #4 look like the same piece would make an Awesome winged bowl with the three trunks. As well as the one in picture #7. The others I would try to get the largest pieces you can from each of them that will fit your lathe. Be sure to Seal the ends of all those exposed trunks and limbs. Anchorseal works well, just slop it on thick. I buy it by the gallon. BTW I would also be careful Not to put any of that close to or In my garage as termites love them. You may not have any in there But better safe than sorry.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    Picture #3 and #4 look like the same piece would make an Awesome winged bowl with the three trunks. As well as the one in picture #7. Be sure to Seal the ends of all those exposed trunks and limbs. BTW I would also be careful Not to put any of that close to or In my garage as termites love them. You may not have any in there But better safe than sorry.
    Thanks Dok,

I picked up a gallon of Anchor Seal and will get it on.

Termites, yep I have a area to store the wood about 10" off the ground and about 2 feet from any building.

I need to look up Winged Bowl, I am not familiar with that type of Bowl. Do you have any info or good links on these types of bowls?

Search Google Images for winged bowl crotch wood, lots of examples.

Alan, here is a link to the gentleman that I saw do one at the International symposium last year. I asked a lot of questions afterward, but it`s fairly straight forward. Just be EXTREMELY careful of your knuckles and fingers. Also after you cut all your bowl blanks don`t throw away the smaller pieces that are somewhat thin and long, they make nice long single wing bowls..well double "ie" each side.

http://rudolphlopez.com/pdfs/Wing%20...td.%20Res..pdf
    Last edited by Dok Yager; 07-01-2015 at 9:14 PM.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.