Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaker door shaper cutters

Thanks all for the input. I'm leaning towards the infinity cutters. They aren't much more than the MLCS for the 2 cutter set. I just don't think I want to spend the money on the Freeborn.

dumb shaper questions from newbie:

everything gets run face down so the reference face is consistent?

rail ends (cope) first and on a coping sled?

I don't have a power feeder and didnt plan to get one. But, I see a lot of people recommend them with shapers. I can see where it would increase safety for some items but is it necessary for running the inside profiles? I don't see with the profile that I'm taking off much material and if I set the fence correctly couldn't I do this shaping safely?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    everything gets run face down so the reference face is consistent?
    Not critical if all of your stock is exactly the same thickness. If it varies at all, then running face down puts any misalignments on the back side. Personally, since I widebelt everything after assembly anyway, I prefer to be looking at the show face while working to spot more small defects. Do whichever makes sense for the way you work and the material at hand.

rail ends (cope) first and on a coping sled?
    Again, you can do it either way. But if you plow the sticking (groove) first, then you will need a profiled backer to prevent blowout when doing the copes. By cutting the copes first, you can just use a flat backer and if you do get blow-out, there is a chance to remove it during the sticking cut later.

I don't have a power feeder and didnt plan to get one. But, I see a lot of people recommend them with shapers. I can see where it would increase safety for some items but is it necessary for running the inside profiles? I don't see with the profile that I'm taking off much material and if I set the fence correctly couldn't I do this shaping safely?
    If you have a shaper, you really should have a power feeder, even if it is a "baby" version. You will get far more consistent results using a feeder and outboard fence, with less setup time.

You can use a split fence and offset the infeed/outfeed, but for short rails this can be tricky. Even with a perfect setup, a part with some side bend can give you snipe.

For best results, plan on removing the pattern plus 1/32" to 1/16" on the sticking cut.
    JR

You can do a standard shaker style door and do a bevel on just the rails very easily. I use a 30º bevel, but it could be anything really. I just happen to have a 30º cutter in the drawer.

Can I ask a question somewhat related to this topic? I'm no expert on Shaker furniture, I have a few Thomas Moser books and have read a few books on Shaker furniture, looking for design ideas and stuff. Nothing that I read or seen suggests beveling the inside edge of the rails and stiles of cabinet doors, was it a common Shaker design feature? I'm sure it looks nice and probably softens or lightens the edge and it fits the clean, no frills Shaker lines, I've just never seen it before the Shaker rail and stile bits became available. I yield to the Shaker experts.

Good thought Martin. Maybe I'll try to sell that rail bevel idea before buying a cutter set.

Straying a little off topic, but we used to do this style all the time. Rail profiles and square stiles offer lots of possibilities. Some of the big door factories do things like this, but they have to upcharge to the point where small shops can be very competitive, since most of us have someone who can do the router table work for the stiles no problem (not to mention having a router table).
    JR

That's interesting. I've never thought about partially routing the stiles

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    That's interesting. I've never thought about partially routing the stiles
    Martin, I never thought about it either ....looks like a summer camp project. Just glad they "USED to make them"

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Williams View Post
    Nothing that I read or seen suggests beveling the inside edge of the rails and stiles of cabinet doors, was it a common Shaker design feature?
    I yield to the Shaker experts.
    Well, I'm no shaker expert and I haven't slept at a Holiday Inn Express lately.."

We aren't trying to be true to the shaker style, I'm just calling them shaker because that's what the manufacturers call the cutters. My wife wants something simple. The last kitchen was the same door style except no bevel. We are thinking the bevel gives it a little more interest and the hope is that they will be easier to wipe clean. We have a lot of the square "mission" style doors in bathroom vanities, built-ins and wainscoting and it can be tough the get the dust out of that inside corner.

So, I'd be interested to know the answer too.

My theory is that shaker men and women lived separately because they could not agree on what constituted "shaker style cabinets".

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Strange that they make a point of labeling (twice) "T" then not specifying what it is. Assume 1/4" ?

What is everyone's thought on the beveled inside profile? A shop just asked me the other day if I could make doors like that.

A set of inserts and backers for my universal Great Lake Tool heads is about $450. They will create and grind custom stuff based on wood sample or drawing in about a week.
    The "T" is not specified to the Amana web site anymore...its their new less is more web model. They overhauled their site last fall, used to be boring but accurate and effective, now its flashy, but has less information and is infinitely more annoying. There web designer should be spoken to sternly, site now sucks. The catalogue says T is adjustable, made for a variety of plywood panels, the range is 3/16"-5/16". Not sure why they couldn't point that out on the web page. Perhaps they should try using their own site?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    My theory is that shaker men and women lived separately because they could not agree on what constituted "shaker style cabinets".
    ROFPMP. Nice Mel! I have to agree with the assertion that the beveled edge sticking profile is not anything I've ever understood to be "Shaker" despite the fact that several manufacturers insist on calling their beveled edge cutters shaker. My last boss was sort of a shaker aficionado, had lots of books on the subject I used to peruse at lunch. I went looking examples of "shaker" edge profiles in these books, mostly square edge with the panel raise to the back for a square edge flat panel look. No beveled edges. Somebody in marketing made that name up. Doesn't change what the OP wants or what the vendor calls it, why should anybody care about historical accuracy?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    ROFPMP. Nice Mel! I have to agree with the assertion that the beveled edge sticking profile is not anything I've ever understood to be "Shaker" despite the fact that several manufacturers insist on calling their beveled edge cutters shaker. My last boss was sort of a shaker aficionado, had lots of books on the subject I used to peruse at lunch. I went looking examples of "shaker" edge profiles in these books, mostly square edge with the panel raise to the back for a square edge flat panel look. No beveled edges. Somebody in marketing made that name up. Doesn't change what the OP wants or what the vendor calls it, why should anybody care about historical accuracy?
    I guess that was the kind of the point of the question, whether Shaker was a marketing term or whether or not it was a real Shaker design feature. Certainly wasn't trying to call the OP or anyone out about not being Authentic Shaker, just curious. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Williams View Post
    Certainly wasn't trying to call the OP or anyone out about not being Authentic Shaker, just curious. Thanks
    Buck - I didn't think you were trying to call me out. I took it as asking out of curiosity. I'm curious too about whether it is authentic shaker but it really doesn't matter too much to me because it's the "style" the boss wants. I find if I just say "yes dear, I can make it like that", then she doesn't look too critically at what tools I buy to build her what she wants. It works out good for both of us.

http://www.cmtutensili.com/show_item...s=HK~690.085~2

How about this?

#86 is the complimentary knife..........Rod.

I get that Mike, I think I might have married her sister.