Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest backsaw handle design.

[QUOTE=Mark Greenbaum;2438676]What is a Fleam - dictionary says bloodletting tool - how or what is this in regards to the back saw? Beautiful workmanship; I cannot wait to see the whole saw assembled.[/QUOTE

Hi Mark. This should help. http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

Very nice Stewie, You really have a good eye. Our brain is interesting in the fact that it does well at making instant judgements. Nice shape, no pinch points, grip size looks good, horns to steady the grip, no sharp edges on the grip, and good looking wood with a nice smooth finish. That is not nearly all that we see just a little of it. Just like picking a comfortable chair, if two are side by side we take one look and make a choice. You have the knack for making the choice easier.
    Jim

Thanks Jim.

VERY nice Stewie, very nice indeed! Just looking at it makes me want to reach for it to get the tactile sensation of fondling it (in the nicest sense of the word). Beautiful work.

Best Regards, Patrick

Stewie, in the photo there is a notch at the very bottom of the handle. Does the plate extend that far? What is the purpose of this cut-out?
    Very nice work!

Beautiful sculpting.

Jim

[QUOTE=Stewie Simpson;2438698]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    What is a Fleam - dictionary says bloodletting tool - how or what is this in regards to the back saw? Beautiful workmanship; I cannot wait to see the whole saw assembled.[/QUOTE

Hi Mark. This should help. http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html
    Thanks - That's very helpful. Now I know why my grandfather's saw does not cut properly - I sharpened it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Greinert View Post
    Stewie, in the photo there is a notch at the very bottom of the handle. Does the plate extend that far? What is the purpose of this cut-out?
    Very nice work!
    Hi Rich. The notch allows the bottom rail to flex during seasoning wood movement. Without that notch there is a likelyhood the bottom rail would fracture some time in the future, most likely at a point further up along the bottom rail at or near the curvature of the lambs tongue where there is vulnerability due to a lack of long grain structural strength within that area. Hope that helps answer your question.

regards Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    VERY nice Stewie, very nice indeed! Just looking at it makes me want to reach for it to get the tactile sensation of fondling it (in the nicest sense of the word). Beautiful work.

Best Regards, Patrick
    Thanks Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    Beautiful sculpting.

Jim
    Thanks Jim.

[QUOTE=Mark Greenbaum;2438964]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Thanks - That's very helpful. Now I know why my grandfather's saw does not cut properly - I sharpened it wrong.
    Hi Mark. Its good to hear that info was of some benefit to you.

Here is another source of info that is of high value on hand saw sharpening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-_MF2Mnxwc

regards Stewie;

Yes, your answer to my question is very helpful. My curiosity is piqued. I will look at handle designs with a fresh eye, what I had assumed was a design choice is apparently much more. Thank you for your answer.

Stewie,

+1 on what the others wrote! Beautiful work. I'll bet it is as functional as it is beautiful.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Stewie,

Wonderful as always, I enjoy seeing your work!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

It looks "comfortable" Stewie. It's well-rounded and smooth and the finish makes me want to reach out and touch it. It looks like something one could hold in the hand all day long.

Can't wait to see the completed saw!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”