Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Latest backsaw handle design.

Work on the saw plate assembly is now complete. The handle has received its 4th coat of garnet shellac. 2 more coats remaining. After the last coat of shellac I allow 5 days for the shellac to further harden before I work the surface down with a cutting paste, then buff to a shine with a powered mop.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-05-2015 at 7:52 AM.

Now,don't put it in the trash can,Stewied!!

While I wait for the shellac on the Walnut handle to harden before buffing the surface to a shine, I am shaping another backsaw handle using Queensland Maple.

Stewie;

Hi all. Here are the photo's of the completed Walnut Handle Backsaw.

regards Stewie;

Wonderfull saw Stewie . Do you make it for you or you also make for selling?

Hi Mark. For sale.

When I use shellac on my saw handles I apply a total of 6 coats. The 1st coat is sanded back to 150g. The 2nd coat to 220g. The 3rd coat to 400g. By that stage I expect most of the grain should be filled within the wood surface. The flat faces of the handle are always sanded over a glass surface. The time delay between each coat is minimal.

The last 3 coats of shellac are to add depth over the wood surface. Each is given 24 hrs between coat. Each coat is lightly abrading with a very fine grade sanding pad before the next coat is applied. After the last coat the shellac surface is then left for 5 days to harden.

The shellac surface is then lightly rubbed back with a cut and polish paste that's hand buffed to a shine. To achieve a greater shine, the surface is buffed again using a power mop fitted to a pedestal drill. (no cut and polish paste used) This step is again repeated 30 min later. Job done.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-13-2015 at 6:28 AM.

Nice work! And thanks for posting your shellac technique.