Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide

Lie-Nielsen Honing Guide

I admit, I'm a sucker for any new shiny object that catches my eye. Also while I do almost all my sharpening freehand there are some irons where a jig could help. One is a pig sticker mortice chisel because the iron has a shape that is difficult to hold square and most are narrow. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Bottom line I ordered the new Lie-Nielsen honing guide with the mortice chisel attachment a couple of days ago, it should be here sometime next week.

Once in hand I'll post if it does what I hope it will do, keep the iron square with out too much monkey motion.

ken

I'll look forward to reading that, Ken! Thanks.

It will work

What is up with this Ken? I've been waiting over 3 years for this to hit the streets. I just checked the website and it doesn't have anything. When I checked with Deneb at Amana in may he told me that it wasn't going to be ready for a while yet. I guess being on a list to be one the first informed means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    What is up with this Ken? I've been waiting over 3 years for this to hit the streets. I just checked the website and it doesn't have anything. When I checked with Deneb at Amana in may he told me that it wasn't going to be ready for a while yet. I guess being on a list to be one the first informed means nothing.
    They are still contacting people. There were over 400 signed up to be notified. Just call customer service and place an order. They aren't cheap, though.

Blog Entries
    I'll wait until they post up on the site, but I wouldn't mind getting one of these. I like to freehand the finish stones, but up until then I prefer to use the guide.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    Ralph,

I think some one else mentioned just giving LN a call. I missed the call from LN and did just that called 'em back the next day to place the order. I expect a call will do the job.

ken

Like posted on another thread (in case you missed it) I stopped by Lie Nielsen last Thursday. We have family about 20 minutes away so I stopped by for a tour. I jokingly asked the person in the showroom if the Honing guide was ever going to be ready. He laughed and said "as a matter of fact" they just started emailing people that very day. I bought one and got the 10% off. The retail on the "basic" guide, whatever that is, was $125. The guides were done and ready but he couldn't give me one right there, something to do with box or directions or something. They are shipping me the guide for free in a week or two from when I ordered. I told him if he takes my money and it doesn't ship in two weeks or better I was driving back up and making him give me another tour, and another, and another, until I have it in hand. He assured me they are ready and would ship when he said. Either way, I enjoyed the tour and wouldn't mind doing it a few more times. There were zero disappointments on the tour as to how they work and build their tools.

I was thinking of posting a thread that said the new honing guide is available if they called LN and inquired about it. The reason I decided against posting it was because I am selfish. I plan on going to the Open House next week and wanted to pick it up there to get the 10% discount and also to handle it for myself. I didn't want everyone jumping on the bandwagon and ordering one only to have LN sell out by the time I get there next week. But since the cat is out of the bag then YES the LN new honing guide is FINALLY available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    YES the LN new honing guide is FINALLY available.
    ..... to order. None have been shipped that I know of.

Still waiting. Anyone received theirs yet? L-N's shop is closed down this week and their Open House is this weekend. Probably not much shipping being done.

I emailed them yesterday telling them I received a block plane they fixed for me. They fixed it for free and it looks brand new. I ended with a zinger about the honing guide I ordered two weeks ago today. She responded late next week, or first thing the week after, they will go out for the people who ordered earliest. She said I would be in the first shipment so I guess I was in the first round of orders.

The simple answer is only they know for sure...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    ..... to order. None have been shipped that I know of.
    Mine shipped today.

Mine shipped today also, which is the day I was told it would ship when I placed my order. I would expect that the bulk of the early orders will go out today or tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    pictures
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.