Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitrogen Tires

Blog Entries

Here's a question professor

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    From a physical chemist's viewpoint (my day job is chemistry professor)
    Knowing that most tire shops don't pull a vacuum on the tires after they are mounted on the rims. The tire is filled with air at atmospheric pressure. If they then fill the tire with 100% nitrogen to 35 psig, what percent of Oxygen is then present in the tire.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    The rate of increase in nitrogen in your tires is directly proportional to the rate of decrease in the money in your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Knowing that most tire shops don't pull a vacuum on the tires after they are mounted on the rims. The tire is filled with air at atmospheric pressure. If they then fill the tire with 100% nitrogen to 35 psig, what percent of Oxygen is then present in the tire.
    This is exactly my question ^^^^.

"Filling with nitrogen" would seem to imply that 100% of the internal voume would then be nitrogen but that's impossible unless you create vacuum before filling it. It might indeed be that nitrogen has all these benefits but how much "nitrogen" are you actually getting?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    That claim is utterly false. Anyone who has completed a high school chemistry class and stayed awake, and then completed honors chem classes in college engine school and stayed awake, and then gave enough to remember it all 40 years later....
    Art - corrected it for you.

I scored on #1 and #2, but failed on #3.

But, thanks for the lecture.........which is promptly consigned to #3 as well. But - I know I can get back to you, as the need arises.

You realize I was simply passing along the marketing pitch, don't you?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-02-2015 at 4:59 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

not only the tire but also the hose

I fill my tires with xenon. It is heavier than air and therefore keeps my vehicle well-grounded.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    This is exactly my question ^^^^.

"Filling with nitrogen" would seem to imply that 100% of the internal voume would then be nitrogen but that's impossible unless you create vacuum before filling it. It might indeed be that nitrogen has all these benefits but how much "nitrogen" are you actually getting?

Erik
    Presumably they flush the air out with nitrogen; leaving very little oxygen.

All I know is that my wife's run flat tires smell like dead fish when I put air in; two different brands. Why is that?

For years, I worked in the pet trade. More specifically, the live aquarium fish trade. The common practice of "bagging fish up" for the customer to take home involves placing some aquarium water in a little polyethylene bag, netting up the fish, dropping it in that water, inflating the bag somewhat, and securing the top into a sort of knot, with a tiny rubber band. Like a small balloon with water and live fish. This is how everyone does it. For years, I kept hearing, "Don't blow from your mouth into the bag because the CO2 in your breath will kill the fish". Some fish stores even touted using compressed air or even O2 to fill their fish bags with for the ride home.

I have probably bagged thirty or forty-thousand fish, blew in every bag from my mouth, and guess how many fish died on the ride home? Zero.

There's probably some science in everything but potentially a lot more hocus pocus. Just my 2-cents as always.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Presumably they flush the air out with nitrogen; leaving very little oxygen.

All I know is that my wife's run flat tires smell like dead fish when I put air in; two different brands. Why is that?
    No idea on the smell but where would they flush the regular air to? It would have to go somewhere. Where? Not arguing, just saying. I'm curious to the hear the (alleged) science of it all, myself.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I fill my tires with xenon. It is heavier than air and therefore keeps my vehicle well-grounded.
    An electrical engineer should know you can't ground an insulator.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We were using nitrogen twenty five years ago in our off road race truck. With 900hp spinning the tires constantly temps would go way up with O2, so you use nitrogen to control it. We still had to start a bit lower than we ultimately wanted, but not as bad as O2.

Tires only lasted 15 minutes, so wear/aging was not our concern. Besides, I have never seen a tire rot from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Art - corrected it for you.

I scored on #1 and #2, but failed on #3.

But, thanks for the lecture.........which is promptly consigned to #3 as well. But - I know I can get back to you, as the need arises.

You realize I was simply passing along the marketing pitch, don't you?
    Yes. Actually I thought you were joking but I didn't want anyone to get the idea that you were serious. You have been known to joke around from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    What the deal with Nitrogen tires on wifes new Honda Pilot?

Less oxidation to the innerds of the tire?

How do you air up if needed?

Necessary for on-board pressure detection?
    David

I don't think you got your last question answered.So;

It won't effect your TPMS system should you choose to just use standard air from your shop compressor.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Yes. Actually I thought you were joking but I didn't want anyone to get the idea that you were serious. You have been known to not joke around from time to time but rarely.

fixt once more.........

all about context............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Sounds like a lot of hot air to me. I'll fill my tires with nitrogen when the NFL begins to fill footballs with nitrogen.

"See, it wuz that leaky O2 that done it, it wuz!" -Tom Brady quote*

-Tom

*That I just made up