Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New hardwood flooring question.

New hardwood flooring question.

Hello everyone,

I am considering installing solid hardwood strip flooring in the kids' bedrooms. Would scraping or planing and then sanding with a Festool Rotex 150/CT 22 combination work?

The rooms are fairly small; 120 square feet or so.

It would give me the advantage of good dust collection and help me justify the cost of some of the tools I have 'needed' over the years. I also do not like the idea of renting a large floor sander of any variety as I have never used one before. I also would need to rent one multiple times over several weeks as I have 3 rooms to do and cannot do them all at once due to space restraints. The cost would add up.

The floors are flat so I assume there wouldn't be too much variation in installed floor height, so sanding shouldn't be to involved. Is that a fair assumption?

Thanks in advance,
    Greg

Not to change your mind, but if you are considering installing hardwood you should really take a long hard long at prefinished flooring. It is impossible to duplicate the quality of the factory finish in a job site finish. Selections and colors are almost endless, for the DIY it's almost a no brainer.

Richard

Richard,

I have considered that. As a matter of fact, I have purchased 450+ square feet of prefinished engineered floating flooring that I intended to install in these bedrooms. But the pieces are not fitting together as tightly as I would like. My plans are to return this material.

We have an engineered, floating floor in our kitchen/dining room area that I have not been too happy with. Some of the glue joints have failed over the last 9 years and gaps have surfaced in the floor. Consequently, moisture has permeated the finish and the floor is now looking somewhat tired.

I just feel as if a on-site applied finish will stand the best chance of looking good for a longer time period in the seams.

I certainly agree that I cannot apply a finish as consistantly as what is available from the prefinished flooring but my concern is with the seams that result from that type of installation. If it were only my wife and I and I could be certain that there was not going to be any moisture issues it would be a no brainer.

Thank for the suggestion,
    Greg

Greg, don't be confused between high pressure lamiate floating engineered flooring with true 3/4" prefinished hardwood flooring.
    Purchasing prefinished hardwood is the same stuff as strip flooring that you want to install only it has a finish already applied at the factory. In the past, seams where addressed with a v groove which some people found offensive and a dirt collector. New type is made with flush seams which may still be slightly more visiable than a sanded floor, but the durability of the finish and no mess factor can outweigh this slight objection.
    I would suggest a trip to a good flooring store and stay out of Home Depot for a better selection and advice.

Richard

Greg - I agree with Richard on this. In past homes we've always done sand and stain 3/4" oak. But in the home we are in now, we had to go with a prefinished product due to the timing of the move and installation of the floors. Our floor company recommended Mirage prefinished. They are as close to sand and stain as you can get. The major benefit other than no finishing issues is that if you ever want to refinish the floors a moderate to light sanding will remove the micro-bevel edge and it becomes a sand and stain floor. We have a lab and twin 6 year boys and they've held up very nicely over the past 4 years.

Mike

I agree with Richard...prefinished is great! A client of mine just bought Santos Mahogany , sometimes called "Insence wood" for $5.00 a Sq ft prefinished! It is more stable since it is engineered. I used it about 16 years ago and it still looks great!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I've installed some oak flooring professionally, and I've got to say that while it's cut pretty well, you would be in for a lot of work without a real floor sander. The Rotex is a very good, even aggressive if need be, sander, but it won't touch the differences in height you would have to get rid of. At least not in your lifetime. I would second the suggestions to get a good quality prefinished in your case, probably one with a micro-bevel.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Thank you everyone.....

Thank you everyone for for the advice.

The flooring we have in the kitchen/dining room area is the type you are all referring to. It has flat seams. This is the floor that has come apart some of the seams. And again, moisture has gotten in the seams and made the floor look bad. This flooring was not inexpensive and is the biggest regret we have in this house.

All that being said, I will go take a look at some flooring stores and see. Maybe someone can convince me that the flooring has changed considerably in the last 8 years.

Jason,

Thank you for the comments regarding the Rotex. I will reconsider my position. But I warn you...my wife and kids say I am bull-headed!

Greg

Greg...

I agree to a great extent with what has been said but you have to consider a few items.

1). The finish on pre-finished floor is robust. It is not only catalyized but contains suspended aluminum. It is also many layers thick. There is no doubt that it will last a long time. Nonetheless, it still will show scratches. Your still going to need to clean this floor and maintain it just like the older finish in place flooring. Where it earns its keep is in high traffic areas. In other applications, the traffic on the floor is never bad enough to wear out the more traditional finishes.

2). It saves you quite a bit on installation. Finishing floors in place is a major element of the cost of floor installation.

3). Here is my pet peave against it. No matter how careful you are, standard flooring is never flush enough all the way through on conventional strip floor installation. You can get bit one or more of three ways. 1). The subfloor is not perfectly level. Residual elements of older floors, warped subfloors, sections of subfloor that are not flush to one another, etc. 2) & 3). Strip flooring is run on a moulder and a tenoner (sticker). You can get variations in the grooves on both the moulding side and the ends leaving one side slightly high and the other slighly low. You can feel this with your hands. The top cutter may leave the wear layer 10 or 15 thousandths different from one setup to the next. Etc. Etc.

These issues were always solved by sanding the floor with a floor sander like an essex or clarke. But you cannot do this with prefinished flooring for obvious reasons. So to solve these problems, the clever devils put a micro bevel on the edges of the wear layer. This way, none of the afore mentioned issues will be a problem.

But I dont like the appearance of these micro bevels. I prefer to leave the floor glass smooth one side of the room to the other. This is esp. valid in a kitchen environment. Should you have a darker colored floor such as bra. cheery or oak or ipe, etc and you spill a bit of say powdered surgar, your in trouble! It gathers into the micro bevels and acts as a white colored grout leaving surgar grout lines. That is a true pain in the rear for the lazy person to clean up. That would be me! The glass smooth floor is cleaned in a jiffy with a broom and pan.

Also, even though the finish is robust, what happens when you refinish the floor? Does one sand below the micro bevels? Or does one leave them in which case the stain, patina, etc in the bevels may finish to a different color than the actual field areas of the floor.

As a hard core traditionalist, I avoid prefinish because I just dont like the micro bevels. Its a great compromise for someone who is not comfortable with floor finishing but in the long run, I have come to realize that there is no substitute for real 3/4 inch, solid, finish in place flooring.

Just my 5 cents worth... not even enough to buy a cup of coffee....
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Thanks again everyone and an update...

I returned all of the floating engineered flooring I had purchased from HD today. This flooring was Harris-Tarkett Taptight preglued maple with flat seams.

They gladdly refunded all of my money. The local HD is great about that.

LOML and I talked about it and we simply do not know what to do as far as what type of flooring to purchase. I truly believe that no matter what we do will involve some compromises. I just have to decide which ones to live with.

So... our current plans are to try to get to a larger city that has a large floor store such as Lumber Liquidators and visually see what our options are. That may have to wiat a week or so due to scheduling conflicts.

Thank you everyone for all of the points that were made. You folks really are a helpful group.

I will let you all know what we have decided when the time comes.

Thanks again. - Greg

To answer your question, scraping and sanding with a RO sander will get the job done but it will be slow going.

If that Festool model is the one that can switch between fine sanding and major stock removal, you will be better off. 120 square feet isn't that much.

Remember, on flooring, you typically end with 120 grit or so, this is not a furniture building exercise. This helps the finish get a "bite".

I have installed thousands of square feet of both pre-finished and unfinished flooring and I am not a fan of the pre-finished stuff.

Greg is correct that you can't duplicate the factory finish in the field - and thats a good thing, the factory finish is water-based and VERY thin. VERY difficult to repair also.

A lot of the pre-finished stuff has beveled edges, this is because the boards have some variation in them and this helps disguise it.

Go ahead and give it a whirl, lay the floor and try the Rotex. If it is too much, you can always use a belt sander to help.

Three coats of OIL-based FLOOR poly (I like Basic brand) will leave a finish that will last a long time.

Good luck!

I used the Festool 150 on a customer's bedroom floor I layed a year ago. She didn't want the mess of a big sander and was willing to pay for the extra time it took. As it turned out the amount of time to sand the bedroom, just under 200 square feet of hard maple, was 2 days to go from 60 to 150. I was surprised that it went so fast. Just be sure to have good knee pads and a good suppy of sanding discs. By the way I ran the 150 hooked up to my Fein vac and she complimented me on the lack of mess in the rest of the house. Yes, I did put plastic up on the door to the hall but if I'd been running my Clarke there would have been lots more dust throughout her house.

Phil,

Thank you for the information. I think the factory finishes on these floors nowadays are unbeatable..in between the seams. But that is where I see the problem lies.

Thanks for the encouragement. It is nice to know my original idea may have had some validity.

Greg

Wow...Someone has actually done this!

Bill,

Nice to hear that someone has actually done this and survived to tell about it. I am a little more encouraged now that my idea may have some merit.

I really think this is something I can do, if I am patient enough with the Rotex. If you don't mind more questions... how much sand paper did you use and what grits for how long. What mode did you use on the Rotex, rotary or orbital? Or both?

What finish did you apply afterwards and how?

Greg

how much sand paper did you use and what grits for how long. What mode did you use on the Rotex, rotary or orbital? Or both?

I used nearly 50 sheets of 50-60 - once over in aggressive mode and once over in finish. Did the same with 80- problably used nearly another 50, then to 120- maybe used fewer but it sure didn't feel like it to my knees, and finish mode only with the 150- didn't use so much of the 150, just wanted to be sure I had a smooth and consistent feel to the whole area.

What finish did you apply afterwards and how?

I used Parks Pro Finish with Padco synthetic pads for the edges and a Purdy White Dove 3/8 roller for the field. Yes, I know using a roller sounds strange but it works for me and the clients like the result.