Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th of July

4th of July

Howabout an apolitical 4th of July thread? Like, what is one thing that you mostly think about when considering the 4th? Something besides the obvious.

Here's mine.

With all the beating up on the French the last few decades, they deserve a huge amount of credit for helping us out with blockading the Chesapeake Bay. IIRC, it took pressure off our troops so we could soundly rout the English @ Yorktown. Of course, the French were too eager to frustrate the Brits all throughout history, especially with the Colonies.

And, we all know that beating Cornwallis(?) @ Yorktown was huge.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

A good time to read about why.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

I don't know about the rest of youse guys, but I have been an avid listener of NPR for many decades.

One thing I have always looked forward to is their reading of the Declaration of Independence on July 4th. The voices I know and love, reading that sacred document.

10 years ago, or so, they changed the line up in the reading. To my dismay. I will still wait anxiously for the broadcast on the 4th, but... Here is the original,which includes the inestimable Red Barber, whom I dearly miss............

"........these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States..............we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor"

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...6473&m=5530828
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I really enjoy the bratwurst. I like a good quality bun preferably white, and then I grill them to perfection. I use precooked ones and put them over a medium heat until the grease starts dripping out of them. Some people heat them too long and they dry out which is no good. I sautee onions prior to grilling the brats and then use just mustard and some of the onions. A side dish of potato salad is good. I would like to blow up a couple anvils but have been unsuccessful at arranging that. I don't want to try it with my grandfather's anvil so eventually I will have to buy two more anvils.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

My twins B-day is the 6th.....so along with the "obvious",there's usually a pretty decent sized party here.It's fun because we never really get a head count 'till maybe a few hrs before the party.Might be 10 guests....could be 40?So it's a,......"you grab this,we'll snag that" affair.Happy 4th.

The accomplishments of America's first Veterans are second to none in the history of our country. I live just across the York River from the Yorktown Battlefields and I fly the American Flag with 13 stars on the 4th of July. Visit the Battlefields if you can and Cornwallis Cave if you are ever in the area.

Its good that the British have become our friends since our humble beginnings and America has repaid our debt to the French people in full.

Enjoy your holiday this weekend and be safe everyone.

Blog Entries
    As an Air Force Brat and Naval Officer, I've traveled to a number of countries and have seen some pretty amazing things. Despite where I've gone and what I've seen, the thing I like the most is returning to the good old USA. It was always great to see the stars & stripes flying. No matter what your beliefs or leanings are this country is sure a nice place to be a part of and a great place to live.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-03-2015 at 2:12 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post

With all the beating up on the French the last few decades, they deserve a huge amount of credit for helping us out with blockading the Chesapeake Bay. IIRC, it took pressure off our troops so we could soundly rout the English @ Yorktown. Of course, the French were too eager to frustrate the Brits all throughout history, especially with the Colonies.
    I recently finished reading a history of the Revolutionary War. I learned a lot I didn't know.
    * I learned that france pumped massive amounts of money into the nascent United States. It wasn't just one or two loans. It was multiple gifts plus loans. That mattered a great deal and made a big difference. My reading is that the Colonies COULD NOT have won without this.
    * Washington almost had to give up. It was closer than most of us realize, 240 years later. (Those loans helped him in multiple ways.)
    * I came away unimpressed with the much heralded Lafayette. He sounded like a vain young careerist who knew relatively little from what I could tell, and pretty much "sucked up" to his boss - Washington.
    * The french intended to have the young United States end up effectively a client state, heavily dependent upon them if the revolution succeeded. John Adams and others worked hard to back "us" out of that corner.
    * Spain was actually involved against england and originally intended to take back some of her lost territory if the Colonies won.

On a totally different bent, I always remember two other things about the 4th, one sad and one happy.
    * The battle of Gettysburg ended the day before. Those guns were stilled.
    * One of the very early space shuttle flights landed on July 4 on national TV.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-03-2015 at 8:39 AM.

Preparing that document took courage.

Signing it was tantamount to signing their own death warrants had the revolution failed, and it came close to failing.

The founders and those who followed left us with a free society that we cherish and must leave for our children.

My only misgiving: I mourn that the signers absolutely did not mean " . . . that all men are created equal . . . ." Many of us have paid dearly for that empty phrase. I wish it had been true.

I am thankful everyday for being born in this country.

While nothing administered by man is perfect, the American dream is still attainable with multiple examples within my own immediate family. We still have the ability to attain that of which we dream, if we are willing to work hard enough and make the necessary sacrifices.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Washington was a good judge of carachter and did not employ toadies. Lafayette had lots of good qualities and spent much of his own money on our cause. Taught himself English on the ship that brought him over. He did use his fame to charm women as any one would.

It is important to remember that all of the founding fathers were human beings, complete with the flaws that all of us have. Each was both selfless and selfish, all had an axe to grind, and most were relatively wealthy compared to the vast majority of other colonists. Irregardless, they fashioned a government out of 13 disparate and often wrangling colonies each with its own agenda. That in itself borders on miraculous. We have come a long way from July 2nd 1776 and this republic of ours will continuously need to be tweaked and adjusted. No government is perfect nor will one ever get to perfection. We have made a damn good start though.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Washington was a good judge of carachter and did not employ toadies. Lafayette had lots of good qualities and spent much of his own money on our cause. Taught himself English on the ship that brought him over. He did use his fame to charm women as any one would.
    Well Mel, you may be more knowledgable on the revolutionary period than I am and I sure respect that. But I didn't get that impression from the (admittedly single) source I read.

I can say that General Washington, like many of us, did indeed misjudge character at times. For example, he did not read Benedict Arnold correctly and was nearly captured by the brittish as a result.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    It is important to remember that all of the founding fathers were human beings, complete with the flaws that all of us have. Each was both selfless and selfish, all had an axe to grind, and most were relatively wealthy compared to the vast majority of other colonists. Irregardless, they fashioned a government out of 13 disparate and often wrangling colonies each with its own agenda. That in itself borders on miraculous. We have come a long way from July 2nd 1776 and this republic of ours will continuously need to be tweaked and adjusted. No government is perfect nor will one ever get to perfection. We have made a damn good start though.
    +1. With thanks to Veterans like you Dave. Happy 4th of July.

Knew that Arnold deal would come up! He was one of those true talents who never feel they are adequately appreciated and sulk into deceit. Lafayett's return to US is an interesting story . Cities erected giant wooden arches of triumph and held lavish banquets for him. Old soldiers who were recognized by him burst into tears. He did enjoy fame ,Jefferson said he had "a canine appetite" for publicity. He took a box of American soil back to France to be part of his grave.