Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets see your Hotrods.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Always liked that style, Bill. I had a '78.
    I've always liked the C3 body style also. Its like driving an oversized go cart. It's kind of like remodeling, I thought it would take about 2 years to get the car complete and about 11 years later I'm still saying "I'll have it done within a year" HAHA I enjoy wood working much more than mechanic work.

Bill

Some great looking cars, gentlemen! I think it's pretty safe to say that it doesn't matter what type of vehicle it is to most gear heads...they're all cool.

Since Bert posted his bike, I'll post a pic of my current two-wheeled project of insanity. I've been road racing Two-stroke GP bikes since I was 17, and although I've slowed down on the competitive side of racing since I'm a fossil now (but I'm still fearless), I still do some vintage races and track days here and there.

I've always loved the Yamaha RZ350 engine (water cooled 2-stroke twin) but hated the chassis. They were supposed to be a street going replica of the TZ250 GP bike, but they didn't even come close to looking like one. They also had very weak frames and they were prone to cracking. So I figured it was time to do something about that and spend some quality time with the beast.

I started with this RZ350 that lead a hard life.

This is where I'm currently at with the build. Countless hours of metal work and retrofitting modern suspension.

I'm hoping to have it on the road next spring and looking like this.

Blog Entries
    Nice cars and bikes all! I don't think any of my cars would classify as a hotrod.

My first car - 1966 Triumph Spitfire (engine rebored for racing, I ended up shearing off two real axles)

image.jpg

The last car before my current car - Honda S2000 (Great car!)

image.jpg

My current car - BMW 335d (great daily driver and loads of Torque)

image.jpg

I tend to go for small sports cars if I can.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    1974 Corvette, getting trailered to go back to body shop to finish all body work. I've had this car for 18 years and drove it for the first 7. It has been a project but with some good luck I should have it back on the road by next spring. New suspension, transmission rebuilt, motor rebuilt, new wiring harnesses and custom paint job.

Non matching numbers - Not completed but in my opinion its still a Hot Rod.

Bill
    I love that body style vette, I had a 78 model back in my younger days. Always had to be careful not bumping other cars at stop lights because you couldn't see the end of the nose. It was the most uncomfortable car I ever owned but you looked and felt so cool driving it you didn't care about comfort.

That '78 Vette I mentioned above had the stiffest clutch of all the rides I have owned. We once went to the beach in it on a holiday weekend, and sat in traffic for an hour and a half. By the time I got home my leg was shaking, and I never drove it anywhere in heavy traffic again. I bought an '85 automatic to replace it, and for a year or so had two Corvettes.

My little brother has three right now, '05, '04, '02. all very low mileage, pristine. He just gave the '82 he had for almost 25 years to his son, and is looking at '96 GS's. He is hooked.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Here's my last one. 87 Mustang, 351W with aftermarket heads and lots of performance goodies. Lots of chassis work so it was very stiff--have a blurry picture from test-and-tune night at the local drag strip where there's very clearly light under the front tires. It ran the 1/4 mile the low 12's with my inexperienced driving and I had plans to make some changes to get it into the low 11's. Then I met my wife, we bought a house, the dot-com economy tanked, etc, etc. Sold it when we had a kid on the way and realized that it wasn't really a young family activity.

aImage01.jpg

I also had a much tamer 81 with a 351W but the ground effects and monochrome look popular in the late 80's when I was in high school that I sold to buy a more practical car for driving back and forth 6 hours in college. Can't find any electronic pictures of that one.

Now I drive an Escape. I like it actually, but the first night home the kid next door texted my daughter and said my new car looked like a mom car. I'd kind of like to get some kind of fun car I can tinker with as a 3rd vehicle but with a 13 year old heading to private high school in a year and college in 5 years, not to mention approaching driving age, there's a lot of reasons not to do it now.

IMGP3021.jpg'49 Ford 9N 13HP but they are Big horses woo-hoo! (with my neighbor Alan)
    Last edited by Bradley Gray; 07-10-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Hey Mike; I had a RD350 back in the 70's and it was a hoot. I'm surprised my license wasn't taken. It loved to wheelie and was a blast in the twisties.

Blog Entries
    image.jpgimage.jpgMy '57 Chevy I bought when I was 19. Coolest kid at the university. My '71 Ghia. I have had so many VeeDubs I cannot count them. I can build a VW engine with my eyes closed.

My son's '72 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland.

He sold it a couple of years ago.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Here are some 2 wheel "hotrods" I recently finished restoring. 2-1970 trail 70's and a 1980 DT100, Last my F150

trail 70r (2160 x 1216).jpgtrail70b (2160 x 1216).jpgdt100 (2160 x 1216).jpgIMG_20150619_142343585 (2160 x 1216).jpg
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.