Thread: Running 240v Chinese blower and compressor on US 240v

Running 240v Chinese blower and compressor on US 240v

My laser had a 120v to 240v power converter with it when I bought it. I don't know if it was sent with it or if the previous owner bought it. I read somewhere you couldn't run the laser off of regular US 240v because it is 2 phase but, when you run it off the converter it converts the single phase 120 to single phase 240. My question is can I run the blower, cooling pump and air compressor that came with it off a regular 240v outlet?
    I would like to try to get as much off the converter as possible so I can use a UPS on it so if the power flickers I don't ruin something.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrod lineberry View Post
    I read somewhere you couldn't run the laser off of regular US 240v because it is 2 phase but...
    No, it is single phase, it will work fine. I'm not even sure what 2 phase is. There is single phase which is what you have in your home and then there is three phase which is found only on commercial buildings - or someone's home shop if they paid a bundle to have it hooked up.

Sometimes people may refer to the two sides of the power panel as phases. From the transformer to your house are three wires, two hots and one neutral. One hot goes to each side of the panel. Regular outlets and lights are connected to one hot and one neutral for 110V. Things like furnaces, ranges, water heaters and dryers use two hots for 220V, but it is still single phase.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I'm not even sure what 2 phase is.
    An outdated term, mostly. It means 90 degrees out of phase for those 2-phase systems that still exist... but the term is often co-opted to describe home systems (180 degrees out of phase). I've only heard it used once, by a really old sparky, and he knew it wasn't truly correct for what we have in the home.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Yes, it will work fine. I did this after the transformer I got went out after 6 months.

Because all of the plugs that came with my Triumph are exactly like US 120v plugs, rather than find new cords or re-wire the old ones with 240v plugs, I just wired a standard 120v outlet and made a bright red 240 VOLTS outlet cover for it.

Yeah, I know... one of these days I'll change it
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle