Thread: Shipping furniture across country, how?

Shipping furniture across country, how?

Hi All,
    I have to ship a heavy piece of furniture from Md. to CA. What shipper and what type of shipping service would you use? I'm trying to do this economically. I am going to mount on a pallet and box around it. Specific shipping companies would be much appreciated. Thanks. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan,

I know a guy in the business with AIT Worldwide Logistics (no, I don't for them). If you would email me your contact info, I'd be happy to forward to him. I'll be meeting with him on Thursday.

BTW - I know (cause I asked) that he offers a "padded truck service" that I will be taking advantage of on the first opportunity I have to ship over state lines.

I hope this is helpful.

-joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Check where you work. I can ship from where I work at company rates and the freight charge for 300 lbs (Minimum charge) is around $125 to anywhere in the US.
    Scott
    Try yellow freight if not.

If you possibly can, use a package-delivery company like DHL. Package-delivery companies are easy for single-shipment customers to use. Check DHL's web site for maximum dimensions and weights, and for costs. If you can't use package-delivery, you're stuck in the LTL market. LTL has historically not been easy for single-shipment customers. They expect shippers to understand the details of shipping tariffs, and rates are established by negotiation. If you have to weave your way through this market, I'd start with Fed Ex Freight. Maybe Fed Ex, with its long history in package delivery, has injected some user-friendliness in this LTL company it bought a few years ago.

Thanks Joe, Scott, and Jamie. I'm calling them. Any more please?

I'm calling all the suggestions given so far. Please keep them coming. Thanks.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I've had a number of people recommend Craters and Freighters, a franchise that takes responsibility for packing and shipping things from anywhere in the US to anywhere in the world. See www.cratersandfreighters.com

Be sure and call their local office - the automated estimator on their web site gave me prices that were more than double those quoted by the real person locally.

Be sure your deal is firm before you call them... every time I have called them for an estimate, the deal fell through, so it is almost like they are a jinx. But I know people who have had great luck using them.

Charlie

All I have to say is make sure that there is insurance on the item that you are shipping. Nothing would irk off a customer more than having custom furniture shipped and it arrives damaged and they are out the cash and the furniture. I am sure that you have already thought of that, but I think that it cannot be mentioned enough
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Craters and Freighters

I used them on a shipment from New Orleans to Cape Cod. No complaints, One caution. I had done the crating myself; so they would not insure against damage. It arrived safe and sound. Be sure if you pay in advance for liftgate service, you have it well documented. The delivering carrier collected for it on delivery, but they adjusted that ok.
    18th century nut --- Carl