Thread: Detailed metal engraving on a fiber

Detailed metal engraving on a fiber

There was a post not too long ago about how the Chinese lasers supposedly didn't have the resolution to do fine work. I did a quick search but can't find it again so I decided to start a new thread. The attached image is the typical Aztec/Mayan calendar with all the detail that most people use on fairly large pieces, I have seen it lasered and cnc routed at 24" or even 36". Well, here it is at .75"! I ran it just three passes and got about .010 depth on some aluminum of an unknown alloy. That took about 15 minutes total. It's difficult to get a good image of the piece even using my (cheap) digital microscope, but you can clearly see the detail, more detail than you can see without magnification. I'm not trying to sell anyone on Chinese lasers, but picture is worth a thousand words.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great work on the calendar Gary!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Gary, From your last sentence, I'm guessing you used some sort of chinese fiber laser? It would help us all if you posted what type of engraver you used!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Gary, From your last sentence, I'm guessing you used some sort of chinese fiber laser? It would help us all if you posted what type of engraver you used!
    It's a G Weike, 30 watt galvo fiber.

I use a Chinese galvo fiber laser as well and couldn't be happier!
    Epilog Fusion M2
    Rabbit RL-60-9060
    Lasercut 5.3
    Corel Draw X7
    Wisely Type III Fiber 20w
    EZCAD 2.8
    PhotoGrav
    Ricoh 3110 Sublimation
    Zing vinyl cutting plotter

Great work Gary.

Couldn't wait to get my hand on the Weike.

I'm looking for a galvo fiber to speed my process and to do some deeper metal engraving. Any recommended on brands/companies? Power recommendations?
    Trotec speedmarks look nice, so far other sites and people I've talked to haven't produced as much info as I'd like? Any thoughts or experience on fiber galvos would be appreciated - potential new contract will require more speed. Laser may be in my future. Thx
    Matt
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."